Rumbling noise from front

All your other probs if any.
Jayne

Rumbling noise from front

Post by Jayne »

Hi Guys, I have a 55 plate 206cc, had it for about 18 months, have been on here before with a problem and you were all very helpful so thought I would try another one
I have a rumble on the front of the car, sounds a bit like when you drive on a concrete road, is slightly louder on deceleration - any ideas? Garage tells me it could be drive shaft, could be wheel bearing, could be something else - not very helpful

Enright

Re: Rumbling noise from front

Post by Enright »

Unfortunately I think they're right - could be any of those things, and you're probably going to have to live with it until it either starts to get louder and more continuous, or something else points you in the right direction (like CV grease coating the inside of the wheel or uneven tyre wear). Sorry. :(
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Mine: Daily driver; Mk2 MG ZS+ (TD). Current projects; 2 x Lotus Elan SE Turbos
Previous project: 56 plate 206 CC 1.6 Sport (with added Allure!)

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

If it's a wheel bearing it might show signs of wear if you rock the wheel. Jack it up and hold it a 6 and 12 o'clock and see if it moves by pulling/pushing. Then try at 3 and 9 o'clock. You might need to watch behind the wheel while someone else does the pulling/pushing.

Another way is to place the ends of you fingers on the spring and spin the wheel. Any wear in the bearing should reveal itself through vibration through the spring. (Works on rear bearings anyway).

The driveshaft is more likely to clunk especially on full lock.

Also check your brake pads ... just in case.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Jayne

Post by Jayne »

Thanks Guys, I know it's not tyres had to have them all replaced recently and I checked the tyre pressures. Brake pads have been changed recently too I think
Looks like I'm playing a waiting game then for a while

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

If you *slalom* the car, left-right-left-right does the noise come and go? (ie quiet turning left, noisy turning right or vice versa)
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Banditboy

Post by Banditboy »

Been checking my wheel..... no movement at 6 - 12 but does move 3 - 9..... ?

Trackrod end?

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Yep (or the rack inner joint)
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.