Ventilation with the top down...

Anything related to the 206CC
Danielle

Post by Danielle »

Hi,

Just wondering what everyone did about ventilation when they've got the top down. Does it cost money to keep the 'eco' facitlity on & does it need to stay on to prevent the engine over heating? I'm sure I read in the manual u should never set it to 'off'.

Any thoughts :D

DPH

Post by DPH »

Air con even in the "Eco" mode will always increase the fuel consumption so in short the answer is yes it will cost. As for keeping it on permanantly that's a no - you can switch it off safely without any problems with the roof up or down. The engine has a separate fan to keep it cool which will kick in when the temperature gets around 90 degrees so you are safe there as well.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

I agree with everything DPH has said. Just remember though to use your air-con for at least 10 minutes each week to keep the seals lubricated and to stop them drying out. If they dry out you lose your air-con gas and your air-con won't work anymore until it is re-gassed (about £60 min.)

I tend to put the air-con on when the roof is up, but always turn it off when using the car open-top.

Ron
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Danielle

Post by Danielle »

Thanks! I'm too skanky to put the AC on usually but I will now! :D

julee

Post by julee »

God! I never knew that - I never put my air con on!! Perhaps I should now, when I've got the roof down! :o

julee

Post by julee »

Oops! I meant when I've got the roof up! Der - I'm having a blonde moment -my heads a shed since I split with my b.f :(

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Leaving the aircon off can be false economy. If you do 12,000 miles a year and save 1.5 miles per gallon by leaving it off all year then you'll save yourself about £50 in petrol costs. But by letting your aircon seals dry out as a result, your aircon will stop working and it will cost you at least £60 to get it regassed. If your seals fail completely you could have a bill of hundreds of pounds to get your aircon working properly again.

Use it, don't lose it! But I agree, with the roof down turn the aircon off.

Ron
Ron

carl

Post by carl »

You should run the aircon for at least 15 minutes every month to keep the seals intact.
[url=http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/newowners?id=442]Ex owner number 442[/url]

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Actually, if you really want to be pedantic the Owner's Handbook states

"Important precaution.

Operate the air conditioning system for 5 to 10 minutes, once or twice a month, to keep it in perfect working order."

However, as I said earlier, I would operate it for at least 10 minutes each week. That way I don't forget, whereas if I left it to once a month I probably would forget. Something to do with my advancing years perhaps!

Needless to say though, Carl's advice is sound.

Ron
Ron