Warranty almost up- planning to ditch PUG engine and G-Box

Website news
clarelee

Post by clarelee »

Hi all,

My warranty is almost up and with the poor support from pug service and a 2.0l engine that sounds like a motor mower I have been pondering what I am going to do with the CC over the long term. I don't want to part with it so I have researched the possibility of replacing the pug drivetrain, I have mapped the can/van bus ecu/abs/srs comms and am sure that i can trick out the ecu's to think the pug engine is still in place if needed.

If the Dept of Transport will allow it I am planning to fit a 2.0 litre cosworth engine of a car I wiped out last year in a local rally comp (which I have mated via a custom adaptor to a 6 spd tranverse sequential manual transaxle) if i get the go ahead I will be removing the turbo and lowering the compression ratio to suit as the engine developed in the mid 200bhp which would require more substantial changes to the brakes/body that i can be bothered to make and from previous modding projects I undertook it is obvious that when you mention the word turbo our DOT become a lot less co-operative, I will be upgrading the front suspension to suit the extra weight, I will wait until the first tests to see what changes are needed for braking.

Has anybody else removed the PUG engine/box? if so, any comments or suggestions regarding unforseen problems you faced would be greatly appreciated.

I really like my CCs appearance etc but if I never have to go back to a PUG service centre my life will be the better for it.

I will post some pics as soon as I begin.

Lyndon
Site Admin

Post by Lyndon »

sounds like ya got ya work cut out for ya m8 :D

should be a excellent drive if all goes to plan :)
Webmaster and Admin - http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk

clarelee

Post by clarelee »

It should be a lot easier than the job I had fitting it in the ford focus where it required the extra fit of the turbo, intercooler and pipework (the car that I bent in a hill climb) The electrics is the only thing that I am not 100% confident that it will work off the bat but I am sure that I'll get it sorted.

From reading all the work that Chadd is doing with his car my project is tiny in comparison

CML

clarelee

Post by clarelee »

I got the report back from my automotive engineer and the project has changed dramatically, to fit the engine in any form turbo or not will require the body to be strengthened in 5 points with spread bars and a torsional rigidity section fitted along the rails between the front and rear crumple zones and upgraded brakes from the get go, ordinarily I would have given up but a lot of my friends are giving me crap saying that "the hairdressers car can't handle it" also my engineer being the speed freak he is has been trying to talk me out of de-rating a $29k cosworth engine so bugger them and here it is, I am going to have the brembo brakes modded to fit (from my focus) and fit the cossy with all the turbo kit and water injection and upgrade the rear suspension with an added 5 link setup. To add some urgency I have a $5k bet with 3 of my friends that I will be able to have it complete and running before Feb 24, 2005.

If i do not have it finished by that date, please all feel free to put as much crap as me you wish.

tell you what, I may still take to pug for the 40k service after it is done just to show them that they are redundant.

Foss

Post by Foss »

Hi, just a thought...

Have you considered making the trek down to the Gold Coast when you want your car serviced? I have heard some shocking things about the Brisbane dealers, but have never had a single drama with European Automobiles in Southport.

My 2L has been out of warranty for half a year, and I still go back. No probs with service, staff, the free courtesy car etc.

Spend the time they are servicing your car at the beach, and you’ll find life has less dramas than going ahead with an engine swap.

clarelee

Post by clarelee »

I have never tried them, I need to get some annoying rattles fixed and some other warranty work so I will give them a try (rattle in the left door was reported to City pug at the 1500k service and every one since but they haven't fixed it)

thanks for the info.

But i am still going to go ahead with the engine mods.

Foss

Post by Foss »

Hey,

If you could keep me posted on the progress of your 'beast', as I would love to head up to Brisvegas to check it out when it's complete.

Happy Xmas

clarelee

Post by clarelee »

Hi Foss,

will do, at this stage I will be starting it mid Jan, over newyears i will be connecting the cars electrics via interface to the cos engine (on a test rig beside the car) if this all works well then the pug RG will be coming out straight after. Will keep you updated and post some pics as soon as I have them.

Regards,

CML

Lyndon
Site Admin

Post by Lyndon »

sounds like a plan m8 :D

yeah post some pictures as and when :)
Webmaster and Admin - http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk

teddy206 GTi

Post by teddy206 GTi »

Sounds like a right load of nonsense to me...you're doing all this stuff to your car yet you still report a simple rattle to the dealer to fix...

Time will tell...

clarelee

Post by clarelee »

Sounds like a right load of nonsense to me...you're doing all this stuff to your car yet you still report a simple rattle to the dealer to fix...

Time will tell...
You missed the point,

The maintenance people here have shown on every occasion that they don't understand their product,

I don't understand why I should have to fix something on a car that is under warranty and why they can't do it, Initially i asked if there is a speed pule wire suitable for connecting navigation and was told by multiple Peugeot service sources that there is no such wire but they have been proven wrong, I have had my car fail with an antipollution fault after washing it (not under the bonnet) just because I got water onto a lambda sensor which made my car unusable it would sit there and surge from 700 to 4000 rpm by itself.

The reason that I am doing this is that I don't trust them to be able to sort out more serious faults in the future if they can't sort out the simple ones as they don't understand the muxbus at all, their solution to everything so far is a software update.

You wait and see how you feel when they replace expensive parts like the BSI and bill you for it because they cant troubleshoot individual components. I know that I don't want to be stuck 500km from a service centre and have to get it towed because of a simple mux fault.

Robby_bobby_boo

Post by Robby_bobby_boo »

Hiya
I was reading this with great interest, mouth watering at the prospect of showhorning a cossie engine into a CC and was about to offer you some free spannering when I realised you were in Australia.... bummer.. (not you the distance!)

It seems an extreme way of defeating the peugeot customer service regime but effective all the same, I am with you regarding the warranty items, I can normally fix them and understand the problem but why should I bother getting my hands dirty on someone elses problem when the wife can take her car back to the dealership and I can shout at them!

Like you we are considering how best to limit our liability once the warranty runs out in April, buying a new car is one option (SLK poss) but thats expensive, just getting on with it myself is another and calling in diag favours when its too technical!

Good luck with the project and pleeeeeeese keep us posted on the site.... the one bit I am not sure about is why you are keeping the ECU from the pug when you shuld be able to just make the job easier by using the ECU from the cossie.

If there is anything I can do from Blighty just let me know

Robert

clarelee

Post by clarelee »

I am not keeping the pug ecu, I am fitting the cossy gear but my interface will be putting all the same can tags to the bsi etc so that all the other gear thay may rely on it still works eg tacho, the battery management on the bsi and anything else that may not work correctly if it doesn't get all the info it is used to. I did a start up test with the cossy on a stand and everything on the car so far works as it should.

Robby_bobby_boo

Post by Robby_bobby_boo »

Aaahhhaaa I now understandy your words... makes a lot more sense now I have to say.

Let me know how it goes.... the clock is ticking :yikes: