Lights, bells, and whistles.

Anything related to the 206CC
ian_i_edwards

Lights, bells, and whistles.

Post by ian_i_edwards »

Hi.

Please can I ask for some advice with my Peugeot 206 Allure.

Over the last 3 months we get an intermittent "anti-pollution" warning and yellow Eml light. Car then "feels" like it has lost a cylinder. And uses petrol like am pumping it out the exhaust.
I have a very cheap code reader, but it doesn't recognize Peugeot cars, so the readings are generic these are;
PO204 - Injector Circuit/open cylinder.PO341 - Camshaft position sensor A circuit range performance bank1 or single sensor. P1153 - refer to vehicle service manual? P1336- Ditto.

I have replaced the following with no difference - Spark plugs, Coil pack, Crankcase breather hose, Intake Manifold sensor, camshaft position sensor.

Occasionally after the "anti pollution" warning it then shows Cat fault and then something about EDR or EDF not functioning, but those warnings are not frequent.

I have googled several times and have read that these could be caused by a worn timing belt, i have no idea when mine was last changed and current mileage is 116363.

I am also thinking do i need to replace the CAT and both sensors.

I would like to know for an either or with regards re-placing belt or Cat. Or am i looking totally in the wrong places.

The killer is when the car runs properly it is a pleasure to drive and the engine is so smooth and on average around the country lanes gets 40.67 mpg and on a long run 46.46mpg.

When she is playing up and rough running its around 36.08mpg

Any help gratefully received.
Ian
Cullompton - Devon - UK
:mad:

Peugeot 206 CC Allure
Petrol 1997CC Registered November 2004.

gazza82

Re: Lights, bells, and whistles.

Post by gazza82 »

Problem using a cheap scanner is that is rarely reports the right codes. So you could be changing parts that you don't need to.

I had to buy a Sealey PSA specific one to get to the bottom of a couple of our Pug's issues. They are NLA so the only real option is to possibly try and get hold of an old Windows laptop and the Peugeot diagnostics and the correct connectors .. or find someone who lives your way that has this.

------------

I had the same issue with a Renault Clio 1.5 dCi. It started to just cut-out randomly. Leaving it to cool off usually got the thing going again. We called out the AA when it simply refused to restart once who said it was the High-pressure fuel pump and would cost £££s to fix. :( So we had it towed home to give us time to think.

I tried a generic scanner and got completely different codes nothing of which seemed to point to our issue. Then I tried with the PSA one and it said "Glow Plug Relay". That was a bit cheaper so we tried a second-hand replacement and it started. But then it played up again a day or two later.

Scanning various Renault forums turned up a similar issue which turned out to be the actual glow-plugs. I tested two with a simple multi-meter and low and behold .. two dead ones. Swapped out and all the problems disappeared .. :excite:

... until the gearbox exploded about 18 months later! :facepalm:
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Re: Lights, bells, and whistles.

Post by IanL »

You need Peugeot Planet and the "dongle" (usually called LEXIA). From Peugeot it costs an arm and a leg, but Chinese clones are available (eg EBay) and usually include the software. It is not easy to install (hint - do not plug the USB plug into the PC until prompted, or the drivers will not install correctly). There are tutorials on the web. If you don't use an old laptop with WinXP SP3, you can run it under Win 10 (and 11 probably) using a Virtual Machine (I use VMWare Player).