Replacing gear knob

please fill in this survey
DavidU

Replacing gear knob

Post by DavidU »

Does anyone know the best glue to replace the gear knob after changing gearbox?
I tried epoxy putty but it failed after about a year and I can't think of anything better.
Any ideas? Anyone?

IanL

Re: Replacing gear knob

Post by IanL »

I'd try this one. It allows for a certain amount of flexure.

DavidU

Post by DavidU »

Thanks for your thoughts IanL but I can't buy 20kg of tile glue to try a few grams out - also tile adhesives work on a bigger surface area - nothing like the little spigot in the gear knob.
I've got a tube of general purpose silicone - I'll give that a go, but expect it won't be strong enough. At least it should be easy to remove when it fails.
Has anyone tried 5 minute Araldite? My concern with it is that it might drip before it sets - still, I think I'll try it if the silicone fails.
Surely someone else has had this problem and worked it out?

IanL

Post by IanL »

I have another suggestion. Cemedine Super-X 8008 black. I got mine via EBay from Japan. Not cheap, but it is incredibly strong. Sony use it to glue the mirrors to the hinged frame in DSLRs. As you probably know, the mirror has to move very fast over a small arc, so the acceleration it has to withstand, starting and stopping, is extreme. And it bonds glass to metal, so metal to metal should be fine. Sony just use 4 little blobs at the corners of the mirror, to minimise the mass of the moving part, so it only needs a small contact area.

The problem with araldite is that if it fails, it is very difficult to remove. The Cemedine is a rubbery texture when set, and can be scraped off, but I would be very surprised if you needed to. It is important to follow the instructions, and give it the required curing time, which, if memory serves, is days.