Lower control arm replacement.

All your other probs if any.
Chrisvankalken

Lower control arm replacement.

Post by Chrisvankalken »

I have a problem replacing my front lower control arms.
I can remove the old ones without much problems. I can lower them low enough to remove the ball joint from the strut. But I can't place the new control arms because I can't get them low enough to slip under the strut. The problem is the front (flexible) bushing of the new control arm articulate less than the bushing of the old control arms. Installing without the bolts of the control arm is also not an option because when I push the arm low enough the bushings tilt and get stuck in the bolt holes and nothing moves anymore unless I pry them lose with a crow bar. So basicly I can't create enough room between the strut and lower arm to get the ball joint in. Is there any other way except buying an expensive spring compressor? I tried to use a cheap small one but that doesn't compress the spring enough.
Peugeot 206 CC, year 2002, 1.6l 16V engine, manual 5 speed transmission, no air conditioning.

gazza82

Re: Lower control arm replacement.

Post by gazza82 »

I used a length of 2x3 timber .. wedged the end under the floor and pushed the arm down with the length of timber. I managed to push it down with a leg but you could use an assistant's boot! Also try and wedge a small chisel or wide flat screwdriver in the slot of the ball-joint opening as it can be tight on the ball-joint pin.

I didn't find a spring compressor helped .. in fact it made it worse as it dislodged the spring.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Chrisvankalken

Post by Chrisvankalken »

Thanks gazza82 for your input. The problem is not that I can't push the control arm down but I can't push it down far enough because it is just at the end of it's range before it is low enough to go under the strut.
Peugeot 206 CC, year 2002, 1.6l 16V engine, manual 5 speed transmission, no air conditioning.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I've done several arms in this way and it will go down low enough ... I agree the proper CC arms are harder due to the stiffer bushes (same as the GTi arms) ... I just cursed and sweated a bit more!!

There is a factory-tool to do the same thin but you operate it at the side near the hub/discs. It hooks over the arm.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

daveing

Post by daveing »

I used a 1.2m long star picket post a few months ago. It needed plenty of leverage.