Roof catches not locking...

All your roof problems here.
doctor924

Roof catches not locking...

Post by doctor924 »

HI
Newbie here for 206cc. Been working through a listing of mechanical repairs since we got the 206cc a week or so ago (been a little neglected).
One issue is - no surprise - the roof doesn't work.
PO had cut the grey wire feeding the yellow plug on the roof ECU to avoid the constant chiming when driving above 5mph (temp repaired for the moment whilst looking at the roof).
Reading around the topic and browsing the forum here suggests a number of faults may be my problem - but on checking the microswitches I noticed the boot switch is a little sticky and the roof lid locks don't seem to want to engage and pull up the catches to activate the microswitches...

The white catches are under tension so that when the lid is down they are not lifting the locking lever to activate the microswitch and the ECU thinks the roof is not locked I guess. Is this right? What am I missing in my thinking?

I'm pretty sure my pump is also leaky as the case it sits in is sodden with oil and oil seems to sit on the top of the unit so maybe a leaky hose link there. I'm also not sure about the cabin roof pillar switches. If I undo them I get the constant chiming of a problem and whilst the roof switch activates the pump, nothing happens.

Thanks
Ed

IanL

Re: Roof catches not locking...

Post by IanL »

Seems to be quite a variety of potential issues - who knows what the P O did?

If you are anywhere near Telford, these chaps are highly recommended: link.

They have been known to give advice over the phone.

doctor924

Post by doctor924 »

Thanks for the feedback. I've noted I can make the white levers lock into place IF I release the pressure at the boot lid rams (no. 15 and 16 hydraulic pipes iirc). As you might expect this then allows the cables to relax and the lever lowers as the catch rises a bit
I also bypassed the right relay (to drive the pump to open the boot lid) but nothing happens - even if I release the no. 15 and 16 hoses, the pump although making a running sound doesn't seem to be pumping fluid when I expect it would to activate the lift rams. I did check if the solenoid switch on the side was working but its hard to tell (12v across the terminals makes it click but nothing else). Not 100% sure the pump is working...

IanL

Post by IanL »

As you have detected a leak, have you checked the level in the pump reservoir? Link.

doctor924

Re: Roof catches not locking...FIXED

Post by doctor924 »

Fixed - problem seemed to be the white catches were not seating correctly as they are missing the small springs and plastic grommets that fit in the catch holes.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Thank you for posting the outcome. Well done.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)