Peugeot 1.1 Cooling Fan

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
Wsmcfadden

Peugeot 1.1 Cooling Fan

Post by Wsmcfadden »

First thanks for letting me join the group and I really hope that someone here can help me fix a problem on my sons 206 1.1L which has been bugging me for well over a year now.

Basically, the radiator cooling fan just will not come on. I have changed the thermostat (twice), I have changed the temperature sensor, I have checked the wiring along with all the fuses and I have checked that the relay operates. When the fan should come on, i.e. when the engine is hot, I get 12V at the socket to the fan but the fan wont work.

However, I've put an on/off switch inside the car with a switched 12 volt connection to the fan and the fan will then work. This manual set up is how my son has been managing the fan for the past year but I just cannot work out what the issue is here. The only thing I haven't actually changed is the fan itself but if that works on a direct feed then its OK...right?

This is the 1.1L model with no Aircon. There are not two relays and a resistor to the left of the fan as per most Peugeots. There is only one relay which sits under the fuse board in the engine bay and as far as I can tell, there is no resistor anywhere at all.

I really hope that someone can help me solve this issue once and for all. My next step is to source a new ECU but I'm not sure I'm ready to go there yet.

Thanks!!

GrandadMonkey

Re: Peugeot 1.1 Cooling Fan

Post by GrandadMonkey »

This forum is really for 206cc owners not the hatchback. However your post has been permitted. You may or may not get a response to your question from a member. Our knowledge of the hatchbacks is limited.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

IanL

Re: Peugeot 1.1 Cooling Fan

Post by IanL »

If the relay is operating, but there is no current to the fan, either the supply which the relay switches is absent, or the relay contact is defective, or the wiring is at fault.

EDIT: From what you originally said, I would guess the relay contact is high resistance, so you measure voltage to the fan, but there is insufficient current to turn it. You should be able to prove that by shorting across the relay contact terminals.