Portal » Forum   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Portal » Forum 206CC Forums 206CC General

Remove sub woofer from boot

Anything related to the 206CC

Remove sub woofer from boot

Postby Joel_edwards » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:21 pm

Hi, I have been having problems with battery drain and have replaced the battery twice now, my mechanic friend suggested I disconnect the sub woofer in the boot temporarily as this was a potential draining cause. However when I did so, all the interior speakers stopped working as well. The head unit still functions but no sound at all. Any advice would be appreciated, I could live without the sub woofer if this was found to be the draining problem but need the other speakers working.
Joel_edwards

Re: Remove sub woofer from boot

Postby IanL » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:16 pm

If by subwoofer you mean the JBL box in the boot, afaik it is actually the amplifier for all the speakers, so that would explain why you have lost all sound.

To verify whether it is the source of the drain, with the ignition off reconnect the box and put a clamp meter around the cable you had disconnected, to see if current is flowing.
IanL

Postby Joel_edwards » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:46 pm

Thanks for the response, yes I do mean the jbl box in the boot, so it makes total sense what you say about losing all sound, if this is the amp.
With regards to testing for the drain, I took all 4 block connectors out of the box, that each have multiple wires feeding into each block. Would I need to clamp meter each wire individually ?
Sorry if this is a stupid question but my knowledge of fitting a car stereo is, unplug the old one and plug new one in (obviously my electrical knowledge isnt too hot either!!)
Joel_edwards

Postby IanL » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:21 pm

Good question. If the power return (i.e. earth) wire is in the same bundle as the power (i.e. positive) wire, then you would need to measure them separately. If they were measured together, the result would always be zero, as the one would cancel the other.
IanL

Return to 206CC General