Portal » Forum   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Portal » Forum 206CC Forums 206CC General

Filtering (cleaning) transmission fluid

Anything related to the 206CC

Filtering (cleaning) transmission fluid

Postby gpktm » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:08 am

Hi all

I have just changed the solenoid valves and I am about to fill up the gearbox with transmission fluid. Before I go ahead with the main question I need to explain to you what happened before that.

The car has a problem dropping from 2nd to 1st gear when it gets hot, I have already created a thread about the problem here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17521&p=132594#p132594

After asking in a few workshops specialized in auto transmissions and also at the Peugeot dealership, more or less they came with the same answer. That they are not sure of what the problem is, it can be the solenoids or can be the brake bands or even a bigger problem.

If the solenoids are the problem, then is something within my capability to fix, otherwise, any larger problem I need to send it to the mechanic and for the amount of money that I have to spend on repairing the car is not worth it, which means I will just drive it until completely dies.

So in this case, I was planning to re-use the old transmission fluid and see if the problem is fixed. If yes, then I can replace it with a completely new transmission fluid. (Keep in mind that the one already in the gearbox is just 6 months old). After draining the fluid, some debris and dust fell inside the fluid so I was wondering how can I filter it (clean it)?

My first thought was to buy some filtering cloth (like those they use in oil filters) but I had no luck finding any. So my second thought is to use just some normal cloth and let the oil drain through.

Any opinions on that?
gpktm

Re: Filtering (cleaning) transmission fluid

Postby IanL » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Maybe you could use a paper element from an oil filter, like this
IanL

Postby ianP » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Coffee filters or maybe a piece of muslin?
2005 206cc 1.6 HDi FAP, 2014 2008 1.6 e-HDi, 1989 205GTI 1.6
ianP

Postby Capncol » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:04 pm

Paint filters

Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.
Capncol

Return to 206CC General