M.O.T.

Anything related to the 206CC
MelidenBob

M.O.T.

Post by MelidenBob »

At 8-30am this morning presented my, recently acquired, 206cc for its M.O.T. at our local ATS.
Soon after starting the probe went into the exhaust, 2 minutes later massive sigh of relief as all green lights, emissions are good straight away. Well worth doing oil and filter change before MOT.
Next, it's up in the air, front end checked and nothing seems wrong. The back end was then jacked up and after probing and squinting all around the examiner pointed out to me that the back tyres were virtually touching the plastic of mudguards at the front. Checking tyres we found that the car had been fitted with 195/65/15 tyres, according to the door ticket they should be 195/55/15. The tester then said about the plastic rubbing on the tyre and could cause wearing, he would not fail it but I needed to be aware. With that, the car was lowered off the jack and suddenly the gap in front of tyres was over an inch. No issue but questionable about tester?
So after all that M.O.T. over car passed with 1 advisory, coil springs have surface rust.
Overall what a great day, especially as the car, is a March 2003.

gazza82

Re: M.O.T.

Post by gazza82 »

You might have wear in the bearings in the suspension arms ... the ones the wheels are mounted to .. that would mean the wheels "float" about a bit. If he pushed the car backwards then this would bring the tyres closer to the inner wheel arch. 55 to 65 profile isn't the issue. Trying to move them by hand often doesn't show the wear up .. but you can see the wheels are the wrong angle .. and if they are touching the inner wings, they are definitely out.

He's definitely missed a potential problem there ..
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

MelidenBob

Post by MelidenBob »

Thanks for the reply.
I think you have misunderstood, when I say about the wheels almost touching it is when the car is jacked up and when the suspension arm lowers down allowing the wheels to move forward so that they are close to the corner of the sill.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

But they shouldn't touch the inner arches in either position ...
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Slo

Post by Slo »

Easy test is to see if you can get your fingers between the rear inner tire wall and inner wings.

You should be able to slide your fingers past easily, if you cant get your fingers in its a sure sign the arms and bearings are wearing out.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I think the tester was being fair
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.