Worth the money/hazzle?

Anything related to the 206CC
DankDeathPunch

Worth the money/hazzle?

Post by DankDeathPunch »

Got a question and i'll try to keep it short.

I have a 206cc 1.6 2003 that i am pretty much going to buy...
But i don't know if it is worth it...

Issues:

-One boot switch is acting up (need to press om boot to stop beeping)
-bad brakelines, mid car.
-engine light on
-anti pollution fault (when starting car and letting it idle)
-bad emission results
-crack in window

Positives:

-500£ Price
-No rust at all and good interior/paintjob
-Roof holds up against water

Does it seem worth it?
Buying it from a close relative.

Was thinking of giving it a service my self and just try to get it through the inspection...

Thanks in advance and i hope this thread is in the right spot, of not i am sorry.

IanL

Re: Worth the money/hazzle?

Post by IanL »

If it's the 1.6 16 valve petrol (TU5JP4) I would say probably yes.

If it's the 1.6HDi diesel (DV6TED4), probably not.

DankDeathPunch

Post by DankDeathPunch »

IanL wrote:If it's the 1.6 16 valve petrol (TU5JP4) I would say probably yes.

It is the TU5JP4.
From what i could gather the issues should be easily fixed.
Anti pollution fault is most likely due to a big whole in the exhaust and
i think i don't have to change the windshield because it is affecting the passenger
side and therefore usually gets OK'd during inspection.

So i think i might have to put 150£ worth of parts (oil, filters, sparkpluggs) and
do the job myself. So paying around 750-800£ total (hopefully).

ianP

Post by ianP »

Is the diesel not a preffered model these days? Ours has been bullet-proof over 13 years and 101k miles and I'd always recommend one.

Ian.
2005 206cc 1.6 HDi FAP, 2014 2008 1.6 e-HDi, 1989 205GTI 1.6

IanL

Post by IanL »

ianP wrote:

Is the diesel not a preffered model these days? Ours has been bullet-proof over 13 years and 101k miles and I'd always recommend one.

Ian.
I'd take the risk on a diesel without the following:
engine light on
-anti pollution fault (when starting car and letting it idle)
-bad emission results
What if it needs (for example) replacement injectors? £££££££, assuming they can persuade the old ones to come out.

ianP

Post by ianP »

Indeed - ours has also been maticulously looked after and I know every inch of her.

Perhaps not everybody's as dedicated :-)
2005 206cc 1.6 HDi FAP, 2014 2008 1.6 e-HDi, 1989 205GTI 1.6

Rubyoptics

Post by Rubyoptics »

To be honest, my answer is going to be 'it depends'. Have you looked at any other CC's in your area that are for sale? What condition are they in? Do they have any similar faults to the ones you mentioned? I personally spent 2k on mine in November. Was it worth it? To me, absolutely. It was a low mileage example with a folder full of invoices and a full service history, bought by a well off dad as a toy for his rather spoilt and ungrateful son.
I realise it's a relative that's selling it, which adds to the complication a bit, but I would still look around and see what other examples are selling for in your area.
They are great little cars though, so as a model in general it's a heartfelt 'yes'!
2003 2.0. Dyno'd @ 134BHP. 2.5" full stainless exhaust system, lexus style rear lights, LED sidelights and interiors. Latest mod - Full stainless steel Group N gear linkages.

DankDeathPunch

Post by DankDeathPunch »

Rubyoptics wrote:To be honest, my answer is going to be 'it depends'. Have you looked at any other CC's in your area that are for sale? What condition are they in? Do they have any similar faults to the ones you mentioned? I personally spent 2k on mine in November. Was it worth it? To me, absolutely. It was a low mileage example with a folder full of invoices and a full service history, bought by a well off dad as a toy for his rather spoilt and ungrateful son.
I realise it's a relative that's selling it, which adds to the complication a bit, but I would still look around and see what other examples are selling for in your area.
They are great little cars though, so as a model in general it's a heartfelt 'yes'!

The cheapest 206cc i can find om Swedish sites is around 1500£ all the way up to 3000£.
The car per say is not something i have earlier felt like driving / owning but for the prize of 500£ i can make it work.

So compared to other cars it's way cheaper

DankDeathPunch

Post by DankDeathPunch »

The other CC's are everything between my CC's condition and everyday usage cars that has passet the inspection and is road legal.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I would read the fault codes before blindly throwing parts at it
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Rubyoptics

Post by Rubyoptics »

If it is significantly cheaper than others around you then it does have that going for it! I would second Col's suggestion of reading the codes, a cheap bluetooth reader is a cheap investment, but be aware that it won't read all the codes on a Peugeot because *reasons*!! Coming from Poland, we also have rather extreme winters (although i suspect still not as severe as yours!) so one suggestion I will STRONGLY make is that if you are planning to use it in the winter months, don't even think about using summer or even all-season tyres. You WILL lose control. I put up a review for some Hankook tyres on this forum and they were the best investment i have made. So much so that i just ordered some summer tyres by the same manufacturer as i was that impressed by the difference they made.
Other things from my own recent purchasing experience would be to go to a youtube channel called 'Chris Fix'. Look for his video on buying a second hand car and there is a full inspection sheet you can download and print. I'm sure you are more experienced than me in this regard, and I am in no way trying to imply that your relative is hiding anything, they may simply not be aware that there is an issue. This download saved me from purchasing an otherwise mint 308CC as it suggested removing the rear mats and checking underneath them for damp...well, this wasn't just damp, i could have held the olympic diving event in the water sloshing around back there!
2003 2.0. Dyno'd @ 134BHP. 2.5" full stainless exhaust system, lexus style rear lights, LED sidelights and interiors. Latest mod - Full stainless steel Group N gear linkages.

DankDeathPunch

Post by DankDeathPunch »

I finally got my hands on the information from the inspection.

According to the papers (translated by myself from swedish so it might sound funny)

1. Fault indicator, motor electronics. (warning about fault in system)
2. Brakelines, mid car, both sides rusty.
3. Hole in exhaust pipe (last muffler)
4. OBD faultcode P0420, catalyst effect under threshold

My thought is that my father (the seller) jerry rigged a cable from the left headlight to the right one because the connection is faulty somehow. Can this be why we get the first error?

Also, from what i understand a hole in the exhause can be enough to trigger the P0420 fault code.
The catalyst has been changed by my father and he has changed all the electronic connectors to the lambdas (he is a motorcycle mechanic and is not a novice when it comes to cars either.).

Brakelines are pretty straight forward though.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Fix the exhaust first otherwise you will never know whether the lambdas are working.

By "he has changed all the electronic connectors to the lambdas" .. what do you mean? He chopped them off and joined the wires? In which case he's probably made it worse! The cables on the lambdas are part of the system and making them too long or too short, or even using solder, will cause them to report faults.

As Rubyoptics points out Peugeot's are not straightforward when it comes to diagnostics. Part of the electronics are controlled by the BSI which is not accessed by off-the-shelf code readers unless you happen to by a PSA compatible one (Sealey did one) and to get a full reading, you will probably need to get hold of PP2000 and the appropriate cables. So even that P0420 could be misleading! I've had different codes from different OBD readers on our 2 Pugs.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

DankDeathPunch

Post by DankDeathPunch »

gazza82 wrote:Fix the exhaust first otherwise you will never know whether the lambdas are working.

By "he has changed all the electronic connectors to the lambdas" .. what do you mean? He chopped them off and joined the wires? In which case he's probably made it worse! The cables on the lambdas are part of the system and making them too long or too short, or even using solder, will cause them to report faults.

As Rubyoptics points out Peugeot's are not straightforward when it comes to diagnostics. Part of the electronics are controlled by the BSI which is not accessed by off-the-shelf code readers unless you happen to by a PSA compatible one (Sealey did one) and to get a full reading, you will probably need to get hold of PP2000 and the appropriate cables. So even that P0420 could be misleading! I've had different codes from different OBD readers on our 2 Pugs.
He only changed the connectors to new ones.
So he did not join the wires.

DankDeathPunch

Post by DankDeathPunch »

The problem with this is that a PP2000 (IF i can find one locally) Costa around 120£.. My first idea was to buy a cheap OBD2 bluetooth reader so i can reset the fault codes after i fix above mentioned issues. That should atleast let me know if the issue is the hole in the exhaust for example