Key fob replacement

Anything related to the 206CC
BigMike

Key fob replacement

Post by BigMike »

Good afternoon,

the buttons on my key fob are starting to feel a little soft, like the rubber around the unlock button is about to fail. I'd like to replace the rubber before it happens.

I have seen some rubber covers on Amazon for about a fiver which may be ok.

There are also rubber covers available with blank blades, a new battery and replacement switches.

Also, I only have 1 key fob. I'd quite like to get another as a spare.

My question: what hsould I do about the failing rubber? What is the best course of action regarding getting hold of a 2nd fob?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

gazza82

Re: Key fob replacement

Post by gazza82 »

Don't forget the immobiliser chip ... so many throw the case away then find the car won't start.

You are going to be unlucky or very broke getting a 2nd fob. They might now be unavailable or dealer only and expensive.

Try the search option for more posts ...
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

I bought a replacement shell (with uncut blade) on EBay. I put the half shell with the buttons onto the old fob, and swapped the cut blade into the assembly. I was lucky, as I kept the other half of the shell, which has an inconspicuous chip of plastic ( the transponder) clipped into it. If you lose that, you need a new module, and it all needs to be programmed. Mucho dinero.

So, for a second fob - I've done that too. Bought the fob from http://www.car-keys-online.com/category ... tml?page=2. There are four flavours of module, so quote your VIN to get the right one. They will also cut the blade to a photo, or the key code of you have it. Then it has to be programmed with Peugeot Planet - I bought my own on EBay - cheaper than paying the dealer. Alternatively, see here. But you do need the four-digit Security Code - supplied with the new car on a credit-card-sized card. If you don't have it, a dealer can look it up - some charge, some don't. That assumes the car still has it's original BSI and ECU - if not, it gets tricky. You used to be able to get it on the web, but that seems to have stopped.

Tip - you do see some fobs on EBay. If they are used, they are useless - they cannot be repurposed to another car. If they are new, there is a risk that they are the wrong flavour for your car.

Good luck :thumbs:

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Thanks Gazza - the tip about the immobiliser chip is very useful.

Thanks Ian - very useful info, especially that used fobs can't be transferred to my car.

"nd key fobs - always a tricky issue.

Regards,

Mike