snapped off oil pressure sensor

All your other probs if any.
gersman12

snapped off oil pressure sensor

Post by gersman12 »

Can anyone give me an idea of how much it will cost to repair a snapped off oil pressure sensor. I can not drive the car now as it is spewing out oil from the pipe.

Kind Regards

gersman

GrandadMonkey

Re: snapped off oil pressure sensor

Post by GrandadMonkey »

You don't tell us what car it is, or which engine.

However, if you mean the oil pressure warning light switch which screws into the front of the cylinder block, then I can't imagine a new switch to cost more than about £10 - £15 from your Peugeot dealer.

Renewing it is simply a case of unscrewing the old one and screwing in the new one. Make sure you recover the sealing washer when you take the old switch off.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

gersman12

Post by gersman12 »

I meanthink the sensor has snapped off in front of the cylinder block.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

What at the point marked (red ring)? Behind the nut fitting?
oilpressureswitch.jpg
That will need some sort of extractor ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

PS can we get this thread moved to Technical/Problems rather than the Opie Oils section?
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Ron

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Those twist-in extractors can make matters worse as the thin ones often snap off in the fitting/hole! And then you can't drill in as they are harder than the fitting!! You can also get reserve thread drills and these can drag the fitting out as you drill left-wise ie the "undo" direction.

One of my Classic Car colleagues suggests using a TORX socket hammered into these types of oil pressure switch fittings and then twisted out using a socket or breaker bar. Most are pretty strong and once the old fitting has been removed it can be re-used.

The broken end is probably fairly soft'ish metal so shouldn't take too much but it is a tapered fitting so don't over-tighten the new one or you are back to square 1 pretty quickly!

gersman12

Re: Oil pressure warning

Post by gersman12 »

Sorry my mistake, I actually have a warning light coming on saying "Low oil pressure" STOP but this only comes on when the engine reaches 90 degrees Celsius. I have changed the oil pressure sensor at the base of the engine block but still no joy I am afraid.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

My guess is that someone used a non-genuine oil filter when the car last had an engine oil and filter change. Either that or the car is overdue an oil and filter change.

Always use a genuine Peugeot oil filter purchased from a Peugeot dealer. Many after-market oil filters have been known to collapse causing the oil pressure issue that you describe. Always use the correct oil too.

A search of this forum will reveal to you how common this is.

Let us know how you get on please. You still don't tell us what car it is, or which engine.
Ron