Drivers footwell soaked, Had an advisory about radiator?

All your other probs if any.
FriendlyGiant

Drivers footwell soaked, Had an advisory about radiator?

Post by FriendlyGiant »

Hi again masters!

This happened literally when I pulled up at home after a short drive to the local gym, IT is soaked in the drivers footwell, I had an advisory on the cars last service that stated radiator in poor condition.

When I had my crankshaft pully fixed I asked the guy to have a look at the rad and he said it will last until early into this year but will need changing.

What do I need to do to attempt a diagnosis myself? and how much if it is radiator will it cost for parts and labour?

Maybe I could fix this? I have the tools? But am unsure :/

Thanks

FG

GrandadMonkey

Re: Drivers footwell soaked, Had an advisory about radiator?

Post by GrandadMonkey »

I don't know how a leaking radiator would get water into the driver's footwell. Is the coolant level dropping?

If it is then I would suspect a leaking heater matrix, and / or the seals on the pipes to it. If it is the matrix itself that has failed then you'll need a new one, if just the seals on the pipes to and from the matrix then you could get away with just replacing the seals.

However, if your coolant level is not dropping (check the reservoir under the bonnet) then I'd suspect that the roof or the radio aerial seal is leaking. On an older second-hand car there could be all sorts of reasons including misalignment following a bump, dried out seals through lack of maintenance (silicon grease can help here).

Try to smell the liquid in the footwell. If it has a "sweet" smell then it could well be the coolant.

One final thought, have you checked the pollen filter? Is that soaking wet? If so then it could be water ingress through the filter housing caused by a build up of leaves and other debris which can block the drain holes.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

FriendlyGiant

Post by FriendlyGiant »

pollen filter?, I will take your notes and have a look in daylight tomorrow and report back thanks grandad for speedy response!

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Do you know where the pollen filter is?

Open the bonnet and prop it up. Looking from the front of the car look behind the driver's side front suspension strut and you'll see a void. In there lives the pollen filter. It just lays in there flat. Lift it out, it may take a wriggle or two. It should be dry and clean. If it is wet then check for a build up of leaves/debris and clear the drain holes. Replace the filter with a new one. If dry, but dirty, use a vacuum cleaner on it. When clean put it back. If it IS dry then your damp problem lies elsewhere.

Sniff the soaked carpet in the footwell. Does it smell like antifreeze - then suspect the matrix.

If it smells like stagnant, dirty water - then suspect a leaking elsewhere. Ignore my comments about roof seals. I forgot - your car is a hatchback - not a 206cc. No folding roof! :no:
Ron

FriendlyGiant

Post by FriendlyGiant »

No sorry grandad I did not know that the car had a pollen filter :/, Im on the case now and taken your checks to do with me and will report back...

It was raining heavy at times which could indicate a leak.... But I noticed no visible wet marks in the car and was just the footwell soaked...

FG

FriendlyGiant

Post by FriendlyGiant »

Ok thanks for the info on the pollen filter, Managed to locate and it was dry!, Topped up some anti freeze and that was near full, Also been on small drive temps same as alwasy been between 70 - 90

only centre of footwell soaked the rest of the carpet around the edges are all dry, I felt maybe some mositure going up towards the foot pedal but was very feint but I can only assume it must be from that way as how else could only the centre of the footwell be soaked?

I am thinking to that this must of been rain as the water is smell free and just smeels like rain water....

I also have a front headlight out :/ Happy new year!

FG

FriendlyGiant

Post by FriendlyGiant »

https://postimg.org/image/sct8j6p3b/

https://postimg.org/image/xzplgnrlz/

I found this by the foot pedal, Never seen it before and it was sitting not in the footwell but on a perch to the left of the foot pedal, know what it is?

FG

Stevem

Post by Stevem »

That looks like one of the grips used to hold the carpet in place, anyone ??

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Let's hope the headlamp is just the bulb.

Did you check that the drain holes each end of the bulkhead were clear of leaves? Sounds like a straightforward leak. I'd use newspaper inside the front windscreen to detect any leaks from the windscreen seal. If the paper gets wet then it'll give you an idea where it is leaking.

I don't recognise the clip in your photographs, sorry.
Ron

FriendlyGiant

Post by FriendlyGiant »

Drain holes? sorry im confused the pollen filter was not an area that would allow me to look under is that where you mean to check?

I will try the newspaper trick and try to locate the leak

Thanks for your help!! will report back once leak is located!

FG

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

If you pour water onto the windscreen using a watering can or hose the water will drain away. Follow the flow of the draining water and you should find the drainage holes each side of the car. If there is a build up of leaves in the holes clean them out. If there is no blockage then I'd suspect the windscreen seal.

It is just a methodical process of elimination to find out where the water is getting in..
Ron

FriendlyGiant

Post by FriendlyGiant »

Ok its been raining all day on and of, But the footwell does not appear to have got wet again, It is still wet and damp from the other day but no major evidence of it getting saturated again, Newspaper is in place in places......

Also was only damp and wet still in the center of footwell all around in a 360 there is no evidence of dampness.....

Mystery atm, But thanks grandad I will try the watering can/hose and locate those drain holes!

As for the light thats out, Full beam works but normal beam does not?

Cheers

FG

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Two H7 bulbs .. one dip, one main.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

FriendlyGiant

Post by FriendlyGiant »

Sorry gazza, So I need to get 1 h7 bulb? and from what I see it is a simple fix....

Cheers

FG

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Careful Gazza. FG's car is not a 206cc, it is a hatchback. Therefore the headlamp bulbs could be twin-filament dip and mainbeam, rather than the two separate bulbs.

FG, it is usually the dip filament that goes first because the dipped beam is usually used the most. If your car has a combined dip/main beam bulb you'll need a H4 60/55w replacement, not a H7. Check what you have on your car before you buy.
Ron