206 ignition barrel, Easy to replace?

All your other probs if any.
FriendlyGiant

206 ignition barrel, Easy to replace?

Post by FriendlyGiant »

Ok so after the recent fix I have had and car runs smooth and nice now!, I am now having some issue with my ignition barrel, The key just wont turn, I have used wd40 and it has worked, But I am worried this might happen again and not work again, So is this a hard job to replace?

The part comes to £21.99 on ebay cheap!

Also is it worth leaving the spare key in the barrel all the time to prevent the problem...

Thanks
FG

gazza82

Re: 206 ignition barrel, Easy to replace?

Post by gazza82 »

Leaving the key in probably means your insurance won't pay out when it is stolen.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

FriendlyGiant

Post by FriendlyGiant »

Hahahahah that made me laugh gazza!, True but the questions remain, Would it prevent the problem? and is it hard to fix myself as the part is only £22

Cheers
FG

Artermis

Post by Artermis »

When you're trying to turn the key - are you giving the steering wheel a good jiggle at the same time to make sure it's not the steering lock stopping you?

I've not changed an ignition barrel in recent history and not on a Peugeot but it doesn't tend to be the most complex of jobs, just fiddly though as you're at awkward angles in a tight space. You might find an auto lock smith will come out and deal with it for not a massive amount of pennies, then it's not your problem to deal with!

If you're changing the ignition barrel though you really need to change both doors, the boot and filler cap, otherwise you'll end up with two different sorts of keys.

The only thing I dont know on these cars is where and how the immobiliser is picked up, as there will probably be some kind of grain of rice shaped immobiliser chip in your current key that will need to be read in order to start her.
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure

FriendlyGiant

Post by FriendlyGiant »

Thanks artemis!, And no I have not tried to jiggle the steering wheel and so will do shortly!, And on the note of getting a auto locksmith, If the problem does not sort from the jiggling, I buy the ignition barrel and then arrange the locksmith? and he can change it?

I really want to have a go myself if I am confident enough, I have looked at several ignition barrel changes on youtube but none for a 206.

I dont mind two sets of keys if it is a hell of lot cheaper just to do the barrel...

Cheers Art!

FG

IanL

Post by IanL »

There is a possibility that the dealer can order a new barrel with the combination set to your present key. You would need the key card which came with the car when new, which gives the combination, or I believe some locksmiths can "read" the combination from the existing key. However, if the dealer can do this, I can't see it being included in that price!

If the new barrel is supplied with a new key, it will not be a remote key at that price, and the transponder within it will have to be programmed to the car, a procedure which requires the Peugeot Planet 2000 diagnostic system, so make sure your chosen locksmith can do this. However, if the barrel were just supplied with a loose blade, you would be able to swap it into an existing key (see next para).

Assuming you also have a remote key, you will only be able to use it as an ignition key if you change the blade, but, of course it will no longer be able to open the doors and boot directly. If you do that, be careful not to loose the little black transponder chip clipped inside the cover - it is separate to the remote module. No chip - no start!

If the chip is lost, you have to start again with a new remote module, as they have to be programmed together (you cannot re-use a previously programmed module - even in the same car!)

FriendlyGiant

Post by FriendlyGiant »

That is all very confusing :/ and hard to understand 100%, Why can I not post url links guys?, Would like to post an ebay link to the said barrel and keys?....

FG

IanL

Post by IanL »

Probably because you are a new member - at least that's how some boards work.

I had thought you were talking about buying a new barrel from Peugeot. However, as it's EBay, just post the EBay Item No. and we can do a search for it. I assume it is a second-hand part, in which case, assuming it comes with a key, you can just swap the blade into your old key fob (taking care not to lose the small immobiliser chip), and no programming will be required.

FriendlyGiant

Post by FriendlyGiant »

Ok so when I went to try the key it worked fine, But I tried taking the key out and locking the steering and surprise it locked again, And so was the steering lock blocking it, And so when I thought wd40 worked before it was more likely me moving the steering wheel that unlocked it and I just never realised hahahaha omg :(, That never happened on the 96 fiesta I had, Never knew about it.... We live and learn!

Thanks again guys, I am going to start doing little bits as suggested before and slowly learn a few bits about cars!

Any suggestions on items that every budding leaner should have?, If argos do them then great! I have an argos card to buy now and pay later!

The ebay item number was just fyi: eBay item number:252253664076

Cheers
FG

IanL

Post by IanL »

That is seriously good value, as the barrel is described as new, and two keys are provided.

As I said before, those keys are unlikely to have remote modules and immobiliser chips in them, but those can be transferred from existing keys with no issues.

FriendlyGiant

Post by FriendlyGiant »

Ye I thought so to IanL, Which is why I would of been tempted to give it a go myself, Still thanks to the steering lock doing what it is suppose to do I will not have to worry about this for now, Ebay is the cheapest around so long as what you are viewing is legit and not some cheap rubbish pretending to be a good option.

It seemed very cheap to me which is why I needed one of you guys to have a look! Cheers for reporting back!

FG

Artermis

Post by Artermis »

Well... free fixes are always the best sort of fixes! Glad you've got to the bottom of it.

Steering locks are not a new concept mind so it's a little tickling that you've not come across it before. The older cars you tended to have to give a good yank on the steering wheel a few degrees in either direction until it clicks and you know the steering locks has engaged.

Newer cars tend to be more automated. My Audi A8 for example is keyless, so there is no ignition barrel to turn the steering lock on and off. Instead when you turn the car off you press the stop button once to kill the engine, then either hold or press again and there is a noticable zip and clunk and the steering lock electronically engages. When you touch the fingerprint scanner to start it up it unzips intself and moves the steering column back in to place.

If you're feeling flush argos do some pretty neat looking Hilka tool kit for about £600 which looks like it has a good collection of stuff. Otherwise just start amassing tools - start with a good set of screw drivers, socket set and spanner set. Also check out the Hilka Special Bits set on argos - you'll want something like that which covers hex, spline and torx bits - the frenchies love their torx bolts!
Ben. 2006 1.6 HDi Allure

FriendlyGiant

Post by FriendlyGiant »

Dam no not £600 more like £100 to £200 for now, As for not knowing about the steering lock I have only been a driver for around 6/7 months and First car I had was a 96 fiesta and that never had a steering lock ignition issue, Glad you had a tickle and it goes to show my level of knowledge about motors :/, A few years from now tho I might know a thing or two :)

Cheers Art Ill check out some bits at argos, If I was to get the £600 Hilka set, Would that provide me with all I ever need for a car?

FG

Argos Item Number: 1872220 This looks to be a good deal and starter set?

IanL

Post by IanL »

I wouldn't criticise anything there, apart from not knowing quality, sizes, etc, but there are bound to be a few things you would have to add, like a set of torq bits (assuming it does not have them).

One of the problems about buying such a large set, is not knowing what you have and what you can do with it all. If, like me, you buy things as you need them, you immediately have an appreciation of the capabilities of each item, because you know why you bought it. Just my ha'porth.

FriendlyGiant

Post by FriendlyGiant »

Are you reffering to arts choice or mine ianL?, I am very tempted to go purchase the £200 set, £600 right now is maybe a bit to much to spend, I also live in a flat at the top of a build and from what the choices are above £200 is not what I can keep in terms of viable "lugging around".

FG