Roof and speedometer not working

All your roof problems here.
fixmedad

Roof and speedometer not working

Post by fixmedad »

Peugeot 206cc, 1.6i 16V Sept 2006.

Diagnostic by Peugeot dealer said problem was ABS ECU.

Q1. Can anyone confirm that the ABS ECU controls the roof?
Q2. If yes to Q1, does anyone know the location so I can find the part number?
Q3. Does this diagnostic seem reasonable, quoted over £1000 to supply and install which seems expensive.

Slo

Re: Roof and speedometer not working

Post by Slo »

Im going to stick my neck out and say they are talking out of their bottoms and just guessing.

Common problem this, especially when changing the clutch, when the long driveshaft is pushed back in it can break the speedo drive cog, then you have no working speedo, in which case the roof will be automatically disabled for safety and you will have abs fault flagged on the dashboard, on diagnostics you will also have aircon fault too as all these functions rely on the speed sensors output.

Had that driveshaft out lately? Ill put money on the speedo drive being bust.

To answer your questions....

1. Not a chance it has its own ecu in the boot that monitors the road speed. Nothing to do with the abs whatsoever.
2. Its in the centre console under the ashtray.
3. They love to charge you a £1000

Where are you in the world?
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

fixmedad

Post by fixmedad »

Hi Slo,

Thanks for the reply. I've just changed the ECU in the boot, (which I thought was the ABS ECU, but given your response I guess not) which fixed the roof issue. £20 from a scrap dealer, 10 minute easy job, just plug and play. Hasn't fixed the speedometer issue though. I haven't changed the clutch although I bought the car secondhand so who knows what was done before I got it. How do I check the condition of the speedo drive cog?

I'm in North East England.

Cheers mate, appreciate the help!

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Your car should be read off the ABS wheel sensor. Check if your speedo drive is capped off on the gearbox
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.