roof no opening, no bong when opening roof clips

All your roof problems here.
Ditchy13

roof no opening, no bong when opening roof clips

Post by Ditchy13 »

hi all, I have a roof issue with my 2003 1.6 206cc. I bought it a few months back and roof worked beautifully. I have recently been on holiday for a week so the car has been standing for a week. When I got back, for the next week it worked perfectly, but now unfortunately its playing up. With the boot cloth extended and handbrake on, as you unclip the roof latches, there is no sound/bong anymore. And also when pulling the roof retracting button, no sound at all. Now, with the boot cloth retracted (which I know is wrong anyway, but this was trial and error), when I unclip the roof latches, nothing, but when I try the roof retracting button, there is an error bleep (roof clips open & closed).

so my thinking is it must be electrical, possibly in the roof clip sensors, because otherwise I think it would produce an error beep when the boot cloth is retracted. but I am only guessing and have no idea where to look.

such a shame because I am in love with this motor :( please help!
Chester FC 2003 1.6 206cc

IanL

Re: roof no opening, no bong when opening roof clips

Post by IanL »

I don't ever get a bong when unclipping the catches, but my roof works ok.

I suspect the switch for the the boot blind is the problem.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Check the screen top microswitches
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Ditchy13

Post by Ditchy13 »

Ive had a good poke around the boot blind, the ECU and wiring/fuses. All seem fine, but one thing I have noticed is that the boot microswitch and the passenger side microswitch both click when depressed with my finger. Now on trying the drivers side, it doesn't click when depressed! it does move but no click at all. Now could this be my issue perhaps? is there a mechanism inside the microswitch that clicks into place that could be failing?

Thankyou

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Which one do you mean?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

Ditchy13

Post by Ditchy13 »

On the drivers side roof clip. When you feel around inside after unclipping (as though you are about to put the roof down) there is a switch that clicks on the passenger side and the boot when you extend the blind but this one doesn't?.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

So drivers side screen top? Yes sounds like it's duff.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Ditchy13

Post by Ditchy13 »

Great stuff, at least I have an idea what it is now :thumbs: Thanks col! is this a complicated/expensive part to change?

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Some people have had success with cleaning the switch using WD40/Plusgas/GT85 etc:
Maybe worth a try. Soak it and operate it a few times to see if it frees up. If that doesn't work, then remove the trim to gain access and change the switch.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Ditchy13

Post by Ditchy13 »

Thats fantastic! ill give that a go first. thanks a million Col!

:love-thx:

Ditchy13

Post by Ditchy13 »

Just an update. I soaked the drivers roof sensor with WD, opened the latches and go the bong. Roof opens every time! Thanks a mil bud

Skezza

Post by Skezza »

I wouldn't have used WD myself, but glad to hear it's all sorted ;) :D

Lizzy G

Post by Lizzy G »

Hello there, after reading this post, I think I have the same problem... The only thing is, I'm not sure what you're talking about in the solutions as I'm so un tech savvy with these things! So my roof problem is the same, I fell for the Peugeot garage BS and after running a diagnostic check they want £500 from me to fit a 'set of hooks' as a sensor is broken... Anyone know what this set of hooks is? And more importantly, is there a way of trying to resolve this myself do you think? So I've seen the suggestion of soaking the roof sensors with WD (sorry I'm asking for such beginners level advice here) so does that mean taking them out and cleaning them? Or leaving them where they are in the roof and cleaning them?

Any advice would be extremely appreciated and again, apologises for being such a novice!

Thanks,
Lizzy

j2112

Post by j2112 »

Hi Lizzy,
My roof isn't currently working either, but try the simple things first as suggested ....
If you open the roof latch you can feel about the front end (where the hook goes) with your finger and you'll feel a switch that moves. If you depress it you'll feel whether it moves freely or not. When I press mine I get the 'bong' but others don't. I think you can leave it in place and give it a careful spray of wd40 or whatever to try and free it up. The trim can be removed for further inspection / change if necessary.
Afaik, changing the hooks will have no bearing on a faulty sensor, but I stand to be corrected.
That's a starting point anyway, but I certainly wouldn't be paying £500 at this stage!!

WEE SMURF

Post by WEE SMURF »

Lizzy, if you position your head right below the latch with good lighting, open and close it a few times you will be able to see the part of the latch which opens and closes the microswitch, quite often the switch is stuck down and wont spring open when you unlatch, often all thats required is a bit of cleaning up.

Whatever you do dont pay anyone that kind of money for latches, that is excessive beyond belief, i have a pair here in perfect working condition which you can have for 35quid posted, the chances are you wont even need them, but if you do they are simple to fit and only takes a few minutes per side.

Hope you get it sorted soon. :thumbs: