rear axle damage??

All your other probs if any.
jaybluecc

rear axle damage??

Post by jaybluecc »

Hi guys as some of you know i have had nothing but problems with this rubbish cc, let me just say i hate it with a passion. Right so drove home lastnight, in the rain,going round a curved road, back end just went, did a 180 and back passenger wheel smashed in to the curb. Now i have a slightly bent back wheel, brake caliper has somewhat locked however handbrake isnt tight anymore. Brake disc is spaced away at the top of dust cover and touching at the bottom, would this mean possible complete axle change? thanx jay

Capncol

Re: rear axle damage??

Post by Capncol »

You need to get it proffesionally assessed as there may be other unseen damage.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

jaybluecc

Post by jaybluecc »

Hi cap, the back didnt hit very hard, and had to drive the car home after, as i was minutes from home, all the rest of it is fine, just that back wheel, was hoping it would be a hub replacement or possibly the actual alloy wheel is buckled, did jack it up this morning, everything is how it should be all is tight, no damage whatsoever, all straight underneath, just a bent hub, or buckled wheel, but dont know much about the rear axle and what can be stripped and changed, or is it all one complete unit.

leegsi

Post by leegsi »

Swap the wheel from left to right and see if the problem moves.

Also spin the wheel and see if it stays true

jaybluecc

Post by jaybluecc »

Ive just had someone look at it, who has done work on peugeots and said that the axle stub is bent and can be changed on its own, not sure if thats true, had a good look and everything is right in place, can the axle stub be changed without replacing the whole axle?

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Yes
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

But that trailing arm needs to be really checked to make sure it isn't twisted ...

According to Haynes, it's a push-fit ..
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

jaybluecc

Post by jaybluecc »

Thanks guys thats definitely given me some direction as what needs doing, going to replace the rear discs and pads aswell, where would i get a axle stub from, iv checked ebay breakers but they only show front ones and full rear axles.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

You're probably going to have to buy new. I doubt if it would be any good after removing as it might need persuasion ... If you get my drift.

Dealers aren't always the most expensive.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

jaybluecc

Post by jaybluecc »

Hi so just to update, car has been repaired thanks to my uncle who likes to fix cars, has also saved me a fortune on garage repairs and labour, got hold of a stub axle pin after endless searching, the old one came out pretty easy with a few knocks of the hammer, replaced pin, new wheel bearing, new brake discs and pads and job done, i can honestly say that no way is it easier to change the complete axle, the pins are by far easier to do if you can get them, only thing that didnt survive was my alloy, which has slightly buckled. Fingers crossed this is the last of the problems with it.

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

jaybluecc wrote: Fingers crossed this is the last of the problems with it.
Doubt it.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

You might want to put some decent quality tyres on it for the winter to improve the roadholding. The correct size too.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Slo

Post by Slo »

Good luck on next mot mate you will probably find out that the trailing arm shaft is slightly bent and the arm bearings well knackered by then.

A complete axle swap is easy peasy and you get new everything at the same time not just one side.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Slo wrote:A complete axle swap is easy peasy and you get new everything at the same time not just one side.
How easy peasy Slo?

Noticed that the daughters CC's got a lot of negative camber and toe-out .. so I'm assuming the rear trailing arms have failed. There is now play in the wheel so it's not bearings. I think we are looking at a recon rear axle swap but my Haynes manual is a little light on the subject (usual "it's complicated, go to garage" statement!)

As we will need to remove the old hubs and swap, will this wreck the hub bearings when pulled off (like most hub bearing do .. inner race sticks to stub axle and the bearing disintegrates across the garage floor.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

It's easy Gazza. Hubs are bolt on so can be removed as a complete hub assembly complete with stub axles. Shock absorbers, Abs wires, brake pipe, H/brake cables and 4 bolt for the axle assembly
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)