Adios my summer forum newbies

Anything related to the 206CC
tenpole

Adios my summer forum newbies

Post by tenpole »

Looks like UK summer has ended now. I guess we wont get the influx of members joining now asking how to fix their broken roof.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

GrandadMonkey

Re: Adios my summer forum newbies

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Yes tenpole. So we can all go into hibernation again until Easter, when it will start all over again.

Your signature will need amending too - e.g. (garaged for 15 years)
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi,
Never had a summer here in the NW.
So carry on raining. :(

Cheers,
Iain.
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

If it's not raining cats and dogs ... why not? Drove my daughter's back from garage last week after getting clutch replaced and it was fun .. bits of me were blue though ...

Oh and the release bearing had crushed so was screaming on the pressure plate fingers and juddering badly ... Pressure plate was showing signs of a slipping (burn marks). Driven plate wasn't bad but worn when compared to new one.

Col: Garage I hear you say? I paid to have it done as we needed car back on road and I couldn't commit the time. I bought parts cheaper than they could get them and we negotiated on work rate! :-)
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

It's ok Gazza. I won't criticise you for not DIY!
Did it look like this one I did last week?
image.jpg
release bearing completely destroyed, hence no pic of it.
ps Zoom in on diaphram finger tips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

The pictures look like somebody who doesn't use a handbrake much on inclines?

Cheers,
Iain
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.

Slo

Post by Slo »

tenpole wrote:Looks like UK summer has ended now. I guess we wont get the influx of members joining now asking how to fix their broken roof.
Guess the rate of solutions to problems will be about the same as through summer then - no replies = no one returns, why would they.

I've had to learn a hell of a lot through hands on experience of my car, i've removed the entire roof workings and wiring etc in desperation trying to find problems to no avail and the whole dashboard trying to fix a non working speedo because I got no real help or suggestions apart from check for dodgy wiring and dodgy multi plug connectors behind the bumper that don't even exist lol

Not everyone would even dare to work on a car nevermind have the time and money, I actually enjoy it and my car was dirt cheap but it cost me a lot of money to sort out in the end which was to be expected seeing as the suspension is probably the worst designed for any car ever.

I can see why this car is very unpopular lol
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

Slo wrote: Guess the rate of solutions to problems will be about the same as through summer then - no replies = no one returns, why would they.
There are only a few people who have the knowledge to help. ie Capncol. For myself I have found his replies very helpful.
Many joiners are one posters with their problems then they are gone. This forum only has a handful of active members.
Slo wrote:I've had to learn a hell of a lot through hands on experience of my car, i've removed the entire roof workings and wiring etc in desperation trying to find problems to no avail and the whole dashboard trying to fix a non working speedo because I got no real help or suggestions apart from check for dodgy wiring and dodgy multi plug connectors behind the bumper that don't even exist lol
Which means you have become the number one person to ask about speedos.
Slo wrote:Not everyone would even dare to work on a car nevermind have the time and money, I actually enjoy it and my car was dirt cheap but it cost me a lot of money to sort out in the end which was to be expected seeing as the suspension is probably the worst designed for any car ever.
I hate working on cars now.
Slo wrote:I can see why this car is very unpopular lol
I beg to differ I think the car is still popular, maybe unpopular with mechanics.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

Kirisute

Post by Kirisute »

Slo wrote:
tenpole wrote:Looks like UK summer has ended now. I guess we wont get the influx of members joining now asking how to fix their broken roof.

Not everyone would even dare to work on a car nevermind have the time and money, I actually enjoy it and my car was dirt cheap but it cost me a lot of money to sort out in the end which was to be expected seeing as the suspension is probably the worst designed for any car ever.
try the 407!! thats truly awful! LOL!

lower ball joints that wear after a year (if youre lucky)
new hub carriers...so if youre balls joints do wear and your car is a bit older you have to replace the entire hub carrier along with a couple of other redsigned bits!
first one i had replaced cost me nie on £300!! nearly shot the car there and then!!

im no mechnic but i do have a tinker now and then...ill happily tackle most smaller jobs or "niggly" bits and bobs...like my passenger seat not tilting/sliding etc

forums are a funny place; frequented by a few regulars and then justd ropped into by most other people. but if the regulars are nice and helpful then the forum will gather new members slowly....
we see the same over on a fishing forum im part of.

as for no summer: who cares! :)
i drove a good 25 mile trip last night at 11:30 with the roof down! was awesome!! crank the heating up and you can happily sit a cocoon of warmth whilst cruising along under the stars! im loving it!

Slo

Post by Slo »

A true rag top enthusiast like myself then,i drop mine in any weather even winter but not rain that would be taking the piss a bit lol

Everyone is nice here but its right about being helpful will gather new members as the solutions or answers rather will show up in google search and attract new folks, thats what i was getting at in my earlier post

Kirisute

Post by Kirisute »

i wasnt an enthusiast; but i am now! LOL

i notice you have a 2l...
does yours have a flat spot if your heavily accelerating with the aircon on auto and blowing cold?
found mine hitting a flat spot at about 2500-3000 revs when you floor it with aircon on...on ECO mode its fine.

Slo

Post by Slo »

Not really took any notice to be honest, it one big crap spot lol

When I had no speedo my diag machine kept flagging, amongst a few other related items, air conditioning intermittent fault speed sensor so the fact its down on power with the aircon on must be normal.

Needs re-gassing mine anyway so it never gets used.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

When I owned several 405's in succession they were all the same. Had to switch off the air-con before attempting an overtaking manoeuvre to give a little extra zest. They were 1.9 turbodiesels.

Don't notice it with our 1.6 but I drive more sedately nowadays. Just had it regassed - £45 + VAT. Perfect again now.

As for technical advice Slo, I'm sorry I wasn't able to help with your speedo fault. I just did not have the knowledge to contribute. I was learning from your posts - thank you.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Kirisute

Post by Kirisute »

yeah my 407 stuttered a bit under ehavy acceleration when air con was going..so i expect it a little...its just knowing how much is acceptable and that requires other drivers with the same engine....

forums are odd places...
they are a wealth of knowledge but they also turn strange when new members join and request info...
ive been in forums where the standard response to pretty much any new members is "use the search feature"
it ends up being a slap in the face of the new memebsr in the end i think...but then you have to balance that with the same questions being asked over and over again when there are perfectly goos sticky topics etc

i dont think there is an easy answer.
forums will always rely on valued and regular members to keep them alive and to keep the knowledge flowing. it then becomes the choice of those members to wish to share their knowledge or not.

thats why i gladly share what little knowledge i have on things in any forum i frequent...for me; knowledge that isnt shared, is truly wasted.
i do alot a of digital art and photography and ive been helping fellow artists for years with techniques and tutorials etc
im an IT tech by trade..so my pc knowledge is pretty huge as well....so i help out on alot of gaming forums etc
if i had a great knowledge of cars like some of you chaps id happily share that knowledge too.
i think thats how forums survive

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Slo.
Sorry I wasn't able to assist, I help when I can but in your case you had often asked the question, and then updated the post before I had even seen the question.

Some of the issues you had were a bit strange (the windows problem) I have not had anything like it happen before, so probably wouldn't have been much help.

We do appreciate the feedback on the end result. Often people ask the question, people offer advice, and we never get to hear the outcome.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.