Hello from NL

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
CJ206cc

Hello from NL

Post by CJ206cc »

Hi :wave:

I got a 206 cc 1.6 from 2003 about a week ago. After getting to know it a little better I'm starting to enjoy it. I'm horrible at buying used cars and besides small stuff I have little experience fixing and maintaining cars. I went from driving new cars (job) to buying cheap disposable cars. I'm nearly 40 years and it's a out time I learn to fix a few things. I'm fairly handy and technical just little experience. Since recently DIY garages are becoming more popular in NL (heard they are quite popular in UK already) which solves the problem of not having space and all tools.

Although there are some dutch forums too it's just easier to find good info in english for me and already solved a few issues reading some threads here, and the repair guide, so figured I sign up here.

My radiator fan didn't turn on and learned that was probably the engine coolant sensor or a resistor. Found a video that showed how to diagnose it using a multimeter. Disconnected the plug from the sensor and measured 5 volt in the plug and continuity. Went back inside to grab something, came back and the fan was on :hyper: So I figured it had to be the sensor. I just got a ODB scanner in the mail while working on the car, so hooked everything up again. Found no codes... turns out I "fixed" it, probably from the multimeter pins in the plug.

The remote control for locking the car didn't work either until I fiddled with it and replaced the battery, with the same one, a couple of times. The alarm doesn't seem to work though.

I'm going to get it in better shape mechanically first and then some subtle styling. The previous owner did a bad job painting some interior pieces. It's something I've done before woth great results so I look forward to that part.

First thing I need to do is replace all the brake pads and the rear discs. I'll be doing that at a diy garage with some assistance/guidance. Already watched a bunch of videos and threads with instructions and pics and know what needs to be done, but getting the bolts of the rims loose is already an issue with my small tools.

Anyway, thanks for running this useful site and see you around :)

yorkielassy

Re: Hello from NL

Post by yorkielassy »

Hi and welcome CJ206cc
Ex 206 CC'er.
Loved every minute...well nearly!

Update 18/06/2020 - I'm back!!

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Welcome.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

CJ206cc

Post by CJ206cc »

Waiting for some parts so figured I go ahead with the interior. Should have taken a before pic but took some pics during and after the process. It's almost the same color as it was, just a little better imo. Didn't want to go full chrome on the grips and vents to keep it the same as the center console (which obviously can't be chrome... too much), but also wanted to avoid getting a rim paint effect so still have a plastic look sort of. Worked out quite nicely.

After sanding the parts smooth enough I painted them with motip spray putty. Love that stuff. Dries fast and sanding it results in a super smooth surface that works well as a primer too.
topconsoleputty.jpg
doorgripputty.jpg
console_puttied_sanded.jpg
topconsolepainted.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CJ206cc

Post by CJ206cc »

And back in the car:
consoledone.jpg
ventsidedone.jpg
ashtraydone.jpg
doorgripdone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

What top coat paint did you use?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

CJ206cc

Post by CJ206cc »

It has only the motip 55265 on top of the putty. No varnish yet. I used clear varnish in the past (also motip) with previous cars but the local shop only carries the high gloss which makes it too much like the exterior. I'm thinking of ordering the satin version and trying it out on the door grips.