Timing question

Anything related to the 206CC
ratt

Timing question

Post by ratt »

My friends 2003 1100cc 206 stripped the cambelt and totalled the valves etc. We found a replacement head and just want to know about timing everything when re-fitting it. The first question would be, do we only have to worry about the crank and cam locking positions? We are both old geezers and can't get our heads around what happens when it comes to the ignition and petrol inlet (it is the model with what looks to be injectors, but without a pump???) We have heard that the ignition is picked up from sensors on the flywheel, but doesn't it have to be timed on number one piston or anything?

gazza82

Re: Timing question

Post by gazza82 »

You lock the crank and cams into position using pins/bolts. You might be best getting hold of a manual.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

ratt

Post by ratt »

Yea, a manual would be great....if it was possible....we understand the cam and crank locking---no problem, but was hoping for some feedback on valve and ignition timing.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

All linked to cam. Shouldn't be anything to set once the cam and crank are in position.

Not an expert on the 1.1 engine .. it's 1.6, 2.0 and 1.6 diesels on here ... 206info forum might be a better place to ask unless CapnCol comes along soon ...
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

ratt

Post by ratt »

That's interesting, difficult for an old timer to understand, but it just goes with life in general.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

The HFX engine doesn't need anything other than the cam timed properly to the crank.
Ignition timing is taken care of by a crank position sensor (hall effect) This tells the ecu where the crank is (think of it as a TDC sensor)
The ECU then advances or retards the ignition to suit the demand of the engine
(full load and RPM / over run etc:)
ECU also controls injection, again depending on engine demand.
Hope this clears things up, so don't go looking for dwell angle settings or points gap ;)
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

ratt wrote:That's interesting, difficult for an old timer to understand, but it just goes with life in general.
I cut my 'engine' teeth on a BMC A-series many moons ago. Am building another one now for a 'project'. :thumbs:
Replaced the belts on our Pug diesel, the 2.0 twincam in the CC and contemplating the Alfa's.

ratt

Post by ratt »

So in actual fact, it's a very simple design. We'll give it a go and report back on our hopeful success. Thanks for helping out.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Any issues, post them here and we will try and help
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

ratt wrote:So in actual fact, it's a very simple design. We'll give it a go and report back on our hopeful success. Thanks for helping out.
The 1.1 is ... single cam .. 1.6/2.0 are a bit more complex ... twincams. Just take you time and triple check everything.

I think the problem with today's cars is all the electronics ... but with the right tools and patience, we can achieve most things ..

It's been a few years since I even removed a distributor cap and that was the early/mid 90s when I had two on my '91 Alfa 75! Now it's all coil packs and one per plug, ecus, sensors galore ... not to mention all the strange fastenings with torx nuts and screws, etc. Long gone are the days of fixing a car with a few spanners!!

ratt

Post by ratt »

But you have to give it to the modern car industry, it wasn't so long ago that a trip to the seaside could be a 50-50 gamble on it being trouble free.

ratt

Post by ratt »

In the end it's quite an easy job for a novice, following the tips above. An extra tip would be to make sure of the crank timing position by using a mirror opposite the access hole, so you can see the slot come around on the flywheel.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Well Done.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)