Cold Weather Faults

Anything related to the 206CC
AndyPrice

Cold Weather Faults

Post by AndyPrice »

We have a 2003 206CC and when the weather is average there is no warnings. As soon as there is a drop in temperature the Catalytic Converter and Pollen Filter warnings start beeping. I've replaced the pollen filter which was filthy but still comes on when cold weather.

Is this a common 206CC trait? :scratch:
206cc. Silver. 2003. 2.0L. Petrol. Manual. 64K Miles

GrandadMonkey

Re: Cold Weather Faults

Post by GrandadMonkey »

As far as I know there is no pollen filter warning. How does that come up on yours?

When the car battery is weak or discharged these cars come up with spurious faults. Ours had stood for about a month until I started it last Sunday. It started but the doors locked themselves, the airbag light came on and stayed on. I then did a round trip of 80 miles which charged up the battery again. Now everything is back to normal. Ours is a 1.6. Yours is a 2.0 litre and it is important to renew the engine oil and filter every 12 months (10k miles) otherwise they can suffer hydraulic tappet issues. That manifests itself as poor running from a cold start. There are plenty of posts on this forum about it. If you are just getting warnings coming up then I'd suspect the battery. How old is your battery? 5 years or more and it is probably nearing the end of its life. Get it through this winter though and it will probably last until next winter.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

AndyPrice

Post by AndyPrice »

Yes our car is a 2 litre and the warning is "anti pollution" so maybe I'm confusing the two? (I feel a bit stupid now)

As we've just bought it I'll get a new battery and oil/filter change asap.

I have noticed that it's a bit like a PC turn it off and on again and the faults disappear 9 times out of 10 times.

Thanks for the reply
206cc. Silver. 2003. 2.0L. Petrol. Manual. 64K Miles

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Anti-pollution is often because of a mis-fire. Unburnt hydrocarbons then get through to the lambda sensors and switch on the anti-pollution warning. Misfiring can be caused by faulty spark plugs or coil pack. The spark plugs should be renewed for the correct Peugeot or Bosch ones at least every 40,000 miles. I did mine a couple of years ago when our car was 8 years old and had begun jerking when running at 30 mph in top gear. The new plugs cured that. Another thing is fuel quality. I never use cheap supermarket fuel but stick to Shell V-Power Nitro+ and BP Ultimate. A bit more expensive per litre but these two fuels contain additives to keep your injectors and engine internals clean and with the correct octane rating will give the best performance.

When you renew the car battery do be sure to get the correct size and specification. The one for the 206cc is 190mm tall rather than the one for the hatchback which is 175mm tall. Use the shorter one and you'll have connectivity problems. If you've got connectivity problems on your car then some cheapskate might have put the shorter hatchback battery on it rather than the taller one. There is a special procedure for disconnecting and reconnecting the battery on these cars too - ignore that at your peril.
http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic ... 23&t=13473

Let us know how you get on.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)