Blower/Fan on 2002 1.6 206cc Petrol - Fuse?

Electrical 206CC problems
danieltharris

Blower/Fan on 2002 1.6 206cc Petrol - Fuse?

Post by danieltharris »

Hi,

First post here, and unfortunately it is with an issue I'm having. The car is a 2002 206cc with the 1.6 petrol engine. Standard Air Con, not climate control.

I've looked around and it seems like the most common issue with the blowers not working is a resistor that goes.

First I wanted to check the fuse, but I'm not sure which fuse is responsible, I don't have the vehicle handbook to look it up, so in general I need to try and get hold of a fuse list if anybody knows of one online please let me know.

For now just knowing where they are (presume on the drivers side footwell) and which one to check for the blower/fan. Its a 1.6 206cc 2002 with Air Con.

Can anybody confirm the location of the resistor in the cc models, is it the same as other body types? Is the Glovebox simple enough to take out to get to the resistor if it is?

Capncol

Re: Blower/Fan on 2002 1.6 206cc Petrol - Fuse?

Post by Capncol »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Handbook available on this very site-http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/downloads/handbook.pdf Including list of fuses

Resistor is in the drivers side heater ducting above the clutch pedal. The climate control version is part of the motor above the passenger side footwell.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

danieltharris

Post by danieltharris »

Thank you that's perfect. I've not had a chance to look at how to get into the dash on there yet, but would I go in to the ducting to get to the resistor from the drivers footwell?

Hoping its easy enough for me to do the swap pretty quickly. The part in just going to order from the local Pug dealership.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Yes it's not too bad. You have to move the heater controls to expose itr properly. Make sure the pollen filter is OK. It's one of the causes of the resistor failing
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

danieltharris

Post by danieltharris »

Hi again,

I turns out the loom has melted so that needs replacing and not just the resistor.

I got quoted £180 - £250 for the repair (Mainly due to labour they said) but I think it looks like a much quicker fix than suggested by the cost.

It seems as though there are two things that can cause the fans to stop blowing - Either the Fan Resistor (Accessible by removing the blower unit), and the "Heater Blower Resistor" (Accessible from the driver side footwell).

Although the fans do not work at all on any setting, I can feel heat coming from the vents themselves when driving quickly and set to send in air from outside - Does this indicate it's the Fan Resistor, the one inside the blower unit, rather than the green component accessible from the footwell?

I'll try and get as much info as possible from the garage, otherwise I may have to inspect them myself, but maybe the fact it still gets heat means it's the one inside the blower unit...Which will mean less work checking both if I can't get specific details out of the garage who took a look.

I'm going to do this one myself at the weekend. Just need to check i'm going to be doing it in the easiest way possible.

It looks like a fairly simple replacement, i'll just make sure I follow the relevant info for correct procedure of disconnecting the battery, and double check anything around radio codes etc, if the stock radio units even require one.

EDIT: Updated this entire post as I realised there are two different parts - One accessible from the Glovebox, and one from the Driver side footwell.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

How many wires on the heater motor plug?

BTW, Heat will come in while moving due to the "ram air" effect of the car moving through the air and pushing air through the ducting.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

My heater fan has stopped working tonight. I will have a look tomorrow to see if it is a fuse.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

So I need to take out the heater controls to get to this resistor. Is there a link to a guide to remove the centre console.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

It's roughly the mirror image of where the motor is and no need to remove cenre console (that is if the resistor is seperate from the motor) How many wires to the motor?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

Only two was all.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Yeah. Resisistor as above.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

I found the easiest/ only route to be by taking out glovebox, removing fan and getting at resistor that way. When I pulled the connection apart it crumbled as that was my short was. A burn out on the connector. I now have to work out how to get to the wiring end as working under the glovebox there would be no room. It would be handy if the wiring that plugs into the resistor has a plug at the other end so I can just replace this part of the loom.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Cut a good one from the loom in a breakers and crimp it to your wires (Pug 307 has same unit)
Alternatively, Durite has a range of OEM style plugs and sockets.

http://www.durite.co.uk/pdf/2012/4/04.2 ... ectors.pdf
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

Capncol wrote:Cut a good one from the loom in a breakers and crimp it to your wires (Pug 307 has same unit)
And standard 206 ?
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Yes
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)