More roof woes

All your roof problems here.
tori1377

More roof woes

Post by tori1377 »

Hello folks, I recently bought a 2001 Peugeot 206 cc from auction. The roof wouldn't open once we got in the car but the auction staff said that they had it open the previous week so it should work. Initially there was no beeping noise apart from a small beep when the engine was started. however after trawling through all the posts on this forum I decided to try a few of the suggestions such as fiddling with the white clips and a manual up/down of the roof. When I tried to close the boot at the end of all this it now looks like the boot won't shut properly (looks like it doesn't clip in place) and I now have a constant beep every time I drive :( bad times! I wonder if anyone here could kindly advise where I have gone wrong or if there is anyone in the London area that I could ask for advice before having to bite the bullet and visit a peugeot dealer! Many thanks in advance!

tori1377

Re: More roof woes

Post by tori1377 »

I believe its the locking clips that will not catch back together. We took it to a Peugeot garage yesterday where the guy told us that we should not have done a manual open close cycle as now we have depressurised the hydrollic thingy it cannot be repressurised by hand and that we will need to pay £70 for them to do this for us (and that is all before he charges us again to connect it to the machine to see what the issue is with the roof!) Now I know he must be talking B****** as why would so many people on here reccomend a manual roof reset and add links to a video which also promotes this procedure if that was going to break the boot?! I'm at my wits end with this now and dreading rain as I fear my car will leak as the boot is not shut properly and I'm scared to drive it in case it flies open! Please can anyone advise on what I have done wrong? I'm not even that bothered about the roof not working I just want to be able to close the boot properly and stop the dreaded beeping! Many thanks!

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

There are plenty of posts on this forum in the roof section so if I were you I would trawl through those. That way you should be able to learn from someone elses experience. e.g. http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15519

As for repressurising the hydraulics, once you have really tightened the valve back up this will happen when the hydraulic pump operates during the roof operation. Have the engine running at all times when operating the roof switch to avoid running down the battery.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

tori1377

Post by tori1377 »

Hi GrandadMonkey, thanks for replying, I have spent about 3 hours today looking through pretty much all the posts on here and while I can see that there have been quite a few other people who have had the exact same issue as me I cannot seem to find any actual fixes for it. The one you have linked is just about the roof not the boot and tbh (although it would be nice if I could get the roof working at some point) its really the boot locking clip issue that is my priority as I don't think its safe to drive unlatched and the constant beep is so distracting!

tori1377

Post by tori1377 »

... Also I already tightened the valve back up and as the roof doesn't work I cannot operate the roof to repressurise the hydraulics :(

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

The roof won't work until you have the boot latched down. Try opening the boot and manually engaging the latches at the leading edge of the boot

Peugeot cash extractor......er, I mean dealer was giving you bs. btw
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Karrot

Post by Karrot »

Ah the old 'boot wont clip down again' chestnut.

Messing with the white clips wont fix this. You have to get the main latches to engage and lock. The white clips are just there to engage / disengage the hydraulics from the mechanism.

I had similar when I messed up and turned the ignition off with the roof mid cycle (dont ask, please dont ask) I had to close the roof manually and lock the latches closed before anything would work.

If you open the boot (normally) and have a look at the latch mechanism you will see it comprises a C shaped latch (7) and a small J shaped locker (8).

Put the white clips to manual mode, slacken off the hydraulic release valve, then press the boot lid closed so the C shaped latch engages. Next, using a small screwdriver as a lever, slowly close the J shaped Locker back on to the C-shaped latch. It will require a bit of force as you are moving hydraulics and cables, start gentle and increase the force until the locker moves, be careful and take your time. Repeat on the other side. Yuo'll know you're done when the boot lid wont open

Tighten the Hydraulic release valve, set the white clips to auto, start your engine, cross everything thats not a liability to cross, release the roof catches, smile at the bong, pray to the pug roof gods and operate the roof switch.

Hopefully you will be rewarded with lots of whurring, clunking, whizzing, an occasional squark, and the feeling of the sun on your face.

Once the cycle has completed, contain your excitement and operate the cycle several times to bleed the system and allow the hydraulic pressures to set / equalise

Really hope this fixes it for you

Karrot
As long as water isn't falling out of the sky, the roof can be down.

tori1377

Post by tori1377 »

Hiya, thanks so much for the advice, we just tried this and while we can get the J shaped locker to move into place with a screwdriver as soon as we remove the screwdriver it pops back out again and won't stay locked in place. Any ideas where we may be going wrong? Many thanks... Again!

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Are you trying it with the hydraulic valve loosened?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

tori1377

Post by tori1377 »

Yes

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

It sounds like the system isn't completely de pressurised. Try loosening valve a little more and hold latch into the locked position for a few moments to allow the pressure to equalise.
(The latches are operated by a hydraulic cylinder acting on a cable)
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Karrot

Post by Karrot »

Wot Col Sed :D

K

tori1377

Post by tori1377 »

Should we have the engine running when we do this?

Karrot

Post by Karrot »

shouldnt need to when you're closing and locking the boot latches, but always have the engine running when operating the roof as it draws a lot of power

Karrot

olly parish

Post by olly parish »

Hi

can i ask did this work? i feel i have currently got my girlfriends car in pieces its driving me crazy and can't be defeated.!! i have the same original problem.!! is that right that there will be no response from the switch if the back lid isn't put back and locked down properly???? please help