Speedo not working, Airbag light showing, roof won't work

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
suehw

Speedo not working, Airbag light showing, roof won't work

Post by suehw »

Help, please everyone! I'm a newbie to the forum, living in Bedfordshire with an 03 Peugeot 206cc 2 litre.
My speedometer stopped working suddenly. Shortly after, the airbag fault light came on and now the roof won't retract - it just makes the warning noise.
My local garage have replaced the speedo senser and also found a broken pipe, so I am now £154 worse off and the speedo still doesn't register :( and other faults are still there. Grrr! The garage now think that it is an electrical fault but are stymied as to what it could be.

I am sure one of you can help point me - and them - in the right direction to get it fixed asap. I desperately need my car as I have to take my other half to hospital in London every fortnight.

Many thanks. Suehw

Peugeot 206cc 03 reg. 2 litre 106,000+ on the clock Silver

Capncol

Re: Speedo not working, Airbag light showing, roof won't wor

Post by Capncol »

How old is the battery?
Multiple electrical faults can be caused by a failing battery.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Luditus

Post by Luditus »

Yes, I go along with Capncol there. The one time I had a series of airbag faults showing (plus others), was when my battery was low. It was a one year old Halfords battery, so I didn't mess about and replaced it with a Bosch.

suehw

Post by suehw »

Many thanks for your quick response. The battery is a heavy duty one but is probably getting on for three years old now, so will get it checked/replaced and hope that solves the problem. Will keep you posted.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Is the battery the correct one for the car? Should be 190mm tall, not the 175mm one for the hatchback?
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

suehw

Post by suehw »

Many thanks for all your advice and pointers towards the battery. My son-in-law checked the current battery, which is a Yuasa Professional *** and it registered 12.7 on his ammeter, which he reckoned was OK (but perhaps that's just for 'normal' cars!?). The battery is holding its charge and I've had no starting problems. I've also been poring through your other excellent historical advice/postings. Is there anyone near me - in South Bedfordshire on the Herts, Beds, Bucks border, who has the PlanetPeugeot software as I couldn't find the forum map? If they could run a check for me, or tell me which cables I need for my laptop, I could make a start on finding out what the root of the problem is. Your help and expertise is very much appreciated. Cheers. Sue

Enright

Post by Enright »

In the absence of anyone else sticking their paw in the air, I have it but am in Nottingham. Not exactly convenient but if you happen to be up here I can do a diagnostic.
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Mine: Daily driver; Mk2 MG ZS+ (TD). Current projects; 2 x Lotus Elan SE Turbos
Previous project: 56 plate 206 CC 1.6 Sport (with added Allure!)

suehw

Post by suehw »

Hi Neil, many thanks for your offer. As I know Nottingham well (my family are from there) it may be worth a trip up to you. Apologies for the delay in getting back but my other half had a heart attack nine days ago so have been busy coping with hospital visits etc. Glad to say that he is now on the mend. Will make contact again, if I may, as soon as I know when he is coming home and is fit to be left for a few hours.
Cheers, Sue

Moz206cc

Post by Moz206cc »

Hey Sue, Hope all is well there and the health issues got sorted.
Do you or anyone that commented here by any chance have the solution for the Speedo problem you had ?
Cheers,
Luís

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Luis, suehw hasn't logged in since Jul last year so unlikely to see your post.

Do you want to start a thread with all your symptoms and we'll have a bash trying to help?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

Viper

Post by Viper »

Hi
I have the same problem with my 2003 model.

Airbag light comes on after 5-10 min and stays on...
Roof will not operate (hate it on sunny days....).

Speedo is not working, just had the sensor replaced with no luck...

Anyone who can help me?

Bstrgds Andy
Norway

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

As above. Could be failing battery, speed sensor , wiring, in fact a lot of things. Battery is easiest to check.
Next. Get the fault codes read. Roof needs a speed signal BTW.

The first one I found
http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic ... ry#p123428
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Viper

Post by Viper »

I don't understand how the battery could case all this.... It starts ok, and every else is working.....? Don't see how a new battery will "fix" the speedo..... Anyway I will do as told & get the fault codes.

Thx for helping out :-)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Viper, do a search of this forum. Multiple electrical problems are often caused by a failing battery (even if it does start OK)
Not saying it is battery, but it's the easiest thing to check.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

tom_viseu

Post by tom_viseu »

Hi guys

I am having the same problem. All works, changed the speedo, even changed the "dashboard" and nothing. when I reset the bsi the needle moves but then nothing.
My mechanic saw that the speedo is working and all is working to the ECU. all fuses are ok.
The rooftop also stopped working at the same time.

Is there anything that I am missing here?

regards

Tom