Peugeot 206CC Manual Engine Left Side Leaking Oil (Photo x2)

Any problems assoicated with leaks
valencia

Peugeot 206CC Manual Engine Left Side Leaking Oil (Photo x2)

Post by valencia »

My beloved Peugeot 206CC is leaking oil, i noticed as i turned sharp turns the low oil pressure alert would sound

anyone have any ideas? (Photo Attached)

Hope its not serous, i am worried sick

thank you all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GrandadMonkey

Re: Peugeot 206CC Manual Engine Left Side Leaking Oil (Photo

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Welcome to the forum.

The sump does look a bit oily. Maybe the sump gasket is leaking a little. Can you see if it leaking higher up then running down though? Have you checked the oil level using the dipstick? Do this on level ground after the engine has been stopped for about 5 minutes. If it is low just top it up. I use fully synthetic Total Quartz 9000 5w40 oil in our 1.6. Do NOT overfill it.

If the oil is not particularly low, when did you last carry out an oil and filter change? That oil does look dirty. Best done annually or at least every 10,000 miles. Make sure you use a decent filter. Some non-genuine ones have been known to collapse and cause oil pressure problems.

It is recommended to check things like oil level, washer fluid, tyre pressures on a weekly basis. Our 206cc only does about 4000 miles p.a. and so I check ours monthly.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Check the oil filter is tight and check the oil pressure switch. Oil sometimes leaks out of them. It's quite obvious if you look at it with the engine running

MIND YOUR FINGERS IF YOU DO THIS!!
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Enright

Post by Enright »

There are drips of oil forming on the bolt heads for the sump, but more importantly higher up at the the bottom of the oil pump housing. That indicates as the others have already said that it's running down from higher up. It will be difficult to trace it while everything is wet, and it needs cleaning up anyway.
So I would recommend letting it cool off, and then spraying the air conditioning compressor, the sump (the bottom of the engine), and the oil pump housing (which is bolted to the front of the engine) with WD40.
Then jet-wash it all clean. It needs a good blast to get rid of all the dirt and residue.
When you start the engine again you should quickly be able to see where it is leaking from. Like Capncol says, I would expect it to simply be that the oil filter housing hasn't been tightened properly.
Check your oil level though and keep it topped-up, even if it's only with cheap stuff. Any oil is better than no oil!
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Mine: Daily driver; Mk2 MG ZS+ (TD). Current projects; 2 x Lotus Elan SE Turbos
Previous project: 56 plate 206 CC 1.6 Sport (with added Allure!)

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Hm-mm, I have to say I'm not a fan of jet-washing engines and engine bays. If water gets in the electrics it can be a nightmare. I use paraffin and a brush to clean metal components.
Ron

Enright

Post by Enright »

I accept your argument GM, but there aren't a lot of sensitive electronics around that area, whereas paraffin getting onto the pre-cat housing and hot exhaust could be a bit of an eyebrow remover!
I wouldn't suggest that it's a good idea to jetwash your ECU or coil packs, but around the bottom end shouldn't be so much of an issue.
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Mine: Daily driver; Mk2 MG ZS+ (TD). Current projects; 2 x Lotus Elan SE Turbos
Previous project: 56 plate 206 CC 1.6 Sport (with added Allure!)

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

If the oil light is coming on, the levels already way below what it should be. So it's either a major leak or has been doing it for some time.

If it is the filter, then it doesn't take long to get in that state.

As for jet-washing, I'm with GM on that one ... there is too much in the way of delicate electronics under the bonnet now to do that. Get hold of some proper engine cleaner line Gunk, Meguiars, etc and clean it the old fashion way .. elbow grease, brushes, old tooth brushes, etc.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

My pressure washer has a nozzle control so that I can turn it down to a little more than a rinse with a hosepipe. thumb-over-the-end-style.
I also know where I can, and more importantly, where I can't spray safely.

Brake parts cleaner used on a COLD engine will work wonders and evaporate away leaving no soggy connections.

Apart from being flammable, the fumes given off when brake parts cleaner is used on a hot surface can be extremely toxic.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Capncol wrote:My pressure washer has a nozzle control so that I can turn it down to a little more than a rinse with a hosepipe. thumb-over-the-end-style.
I also know where I can, and more importantly, where I can't spray safely.
That's what my daughter's dog thought until it tried it on an electric fence :hyper:
Ron

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

:lol:
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

valencia

Post by valencia »

UPDATE**

It turned out it was the Rubber Seal for the Oil Pump Housing. replaced and all is good! cost around $55 for part

Back In Action! :hyper:

Thanks All :love-thx:

P.S. also had oil change and oil filter replaced for those who lectured :no: on the color of oil ;)

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Well done! Thank you for feeding back the outcome. Well done Capncol and Enright too for their accurate pointers.
Ron