CAN I REJECT MY DREAM CAR which is turning into a Nightmare!

All the rejected 206CC's......
Ladybrum

CAN I REJECT MY DREAM CAR which is turning into a Nightmare!

Post by Ladybrum »

Hi everyone,
I have a Pug 2Ltr SE (52 plate) which I have only had for just over 3 months now and I have had nothing but problems with it. I bought this second hand from a garage (not a Pug retailer) who gave me a 3 month warranty cover with a company called VGS Warranty Management Services Ltd. As the problems have developed, I have tried ringing the warranty cover company but they are never open after 5pm in the week nor at the weekends! I have had a motor trade friend of mine read through the warranty cover book and have been told that basically the cover is not worth the paper it's written on. Also, any work that they do agree to undertake is only covered up to a total of £300 max.

So far I have had the following replaced on my Pug which I have paid for:

Downpipe/Cat converter
1 x Lambda Sensor
Rear Box Section
Clamps & Fittings
Diagnostics
Lights reset on Dash
Cam Belt Kit
2 x Seals
Alt Belt & Roller
2 x front Shocks
2 x Top Mounts
2 x Drop Links
2 x Bushes
Back Brakes replaced
Exhaust Lowered
Tracking

And I still have problems.....
I have a 'tappety' sound coming from the engine when I accelerate but only when I accelerate, so the garage are not convinced it's the actual tappets as the sound would be there all the time. I have a 'banging/clunking' noise when changing from 1st to 2nd gear but if I change gears really slowly then it doesn't seem to make the noise (have to crawl at a snails pace at lights etc when pulling away not to get the noise). I also have a 'clunking' noise which seems to be coming from the front of the car when I go round corners, speed bumps or uneven road surfaces, which at times is very noticeable and loud, and just recently, an almighty 'clunking' sound when pulling away (similar in sound if you went over a very large brick and it was to bang on the underneath of the car).
I am totally broken hearted with my car as I have waited so long to get one of these. I have to date spent just over £1000 and it's still not right.
I had the car checked again last week where I've been told that the CV joints, engine mount, steering rack etc all seem ok, 360 turns have been done on the car with no apparent problems detected, and as for the 'tappety' noise, to change the fuel from regular unleaded to V Power/high octane.

Can anyone please advise me on what to do. Can I reject this car, if so, what do I need to do and would I be entitled to all my money back? The warranty ends on 19th August so I'd like to try and see what my options are.
Please help as I am so fed up and do not want to drive the car as I'm worried as to what else may go wrong....

Many, many thanks
Paula :cry:

mollysue

Re: CAN I REJECT MY DREAM CAR which is turning into a Nightm

Post by mollysue »

Hi there

Sorry to hear about the problems you have been having with your car. I can totally empathise as I had the same problem a few years ago with a second hand car I bought from a dealer. To cut a long story very short I contacted trading standards who very flippin fantastic. They liased with the dealer and my car got sorted at no cost to myself.

You need to Google trading standards for your local county coucil and they can then advise you from there.

Good luck :thumbs:

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I'm sorry it's come to this for you. Nothing like having yours dreams shattered.
Whatever you do, put it in writing. It's a lot easier to make a case, because verbal agreements (although legal) are harder to prove. Good luck and let us know what trading standards say.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Ladybrum

Post by Ladybrum »

I've now contacted the warranty company who have tentatively agreed for me to try and have the clunking noise identified (corners, gear change etc??). I have to make arrangements for a garage to have a look and diagnose what the fault(s) may be then ring the warranty company back and let them know. Downside to this is that I only have till 19th of this month to find out what's causing this clunking sound and they will only pay up to a maximum of £300 if they then agree to do the work!!!

I'm wondering whether the noise could be due to: contaminated/damaged clutch plate, lower wishbone to hub ball joint/outer wishbone to subframe joint or maybe even the gearbox itself????? Or does anyone else have any ideas please???

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Ladybrum wrote:I'm wondering whether the noise could be due to: contaminated/damaged clutch plate, lower wishbone to hub ball joint/outer wishbone to subframe joint or maybe even the gearbox itself????? Or does anyone else have any ideas please???
Unlikely to be clutch, but everything else is a possible. Include in your list engine/ gearbox mounts.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

shadow

Post by shadow »

the max amount of £300 is per claim in laymans terms some companys have a max number of claims with in a specific period so check the small print

Ladybrum

Post by Ladybrum »

Thanks Shadow, will do.
I'm hoping to get the car to the garage tomorrow but to add to my woes, this evening the car wouldn't start, just made an awful racket and shook, then I got 'engine immobiliser fault' flash up on the display. I sat there for a few moments, then tried again and it started with no error message. Help.... What's happening now????

Enright

Post by Enright »

Mine did that a couple of times yesterday when I was getting it up and running, but it didn't produce any error codes, so I would say that it's probably just down to the battery drain that starting it can take. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a routine problem, as one-offs are very difficult to trace.

Can I just ask, how many miles has yours got on the clock, and how many previous owners?
Also have you had a look at Parker's Price Guide for a similar aged one to see if you paid over the odds for it? (I'm not asking the actual price you paid, but if you were to take it further and then it transpired that you got what was considered at the time to be "a bargain", it could leave you on shaky ground)
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Mine: Daily driver; Mk2 MG ZS+ (TD). Current projects; 2 x Lotus Elan SE Turbos
Previous project: 56 plate 206 CC 1.6 Sport (with added Allure!)

Ladybrum

Post by Ladybrum »

From memory the car now has approx 66,400+ miles on the clock. It has a full service history and I know the last previous owner was also a lady (I will have check paperwork for exact number of owners prior). With regards to all the problems, I have spoken to the warranty company who have now advised me that all the previous issues would not have been covered on the warranty anyway, so I would still of had to pay for the repairs (which I have done). I haven't checked Parkers' Price Guide but will have a llok now and let you know...

Ladybrum

Post by Ladybrum »

Ok, I've just been on a few sites to value my car and I'm getting a range of from between £1200 - £1600. I paid £2400 but p/x my other car in with it, so I paid £1900. Add the £1000+ I've already spent on all the problems and it's starting to become expensive! Any thoughts???

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I would go to trading standards and see what they say. Sounds to me as if it's not fit for purpose. They deal with these sort of things all the time, so would be your best bet.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

shadow

Post by shadow »

did you test drive this car before parting with your money.? cos it sounds like you put alot of trust in the salesman.

Enright

Post by Enright »

As you say, it IS starting to become expensive. I'd go with Capncol's advice (and Sue's from earlier), and go to see Trading Standards about it. As you've documented a lot of your thoughts already here, either copy and paste them into a Word document, or just print off this thread to take to them, along with any bills you have. The problem is, the value of cars can be both emotive and subjective, so you may have a few hurdles to jump over before you get even close to a satisfactory outcome. I hope it works out for you and you don't end up feeling sick every time you look at your car.
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Mine: Daily driver; Mk2 MG ZS+ (TD). Current projects; 2 x Lotus Elan SE Turbos
Previous project: 56 plate 206 CC 1.6 Sport (with added Allure!)

Ladybrum

Post by Ladybrum »

Thanks guys.
It's been in at the garage again today for the latest clunking noise problems and goes to a different garage on monday for a second opinion. First garage seem to think it's an internal gearbox problem, so I'll wait and see what happens on Monday and let you all know the outcome.
I bet either way, whatever the problem is, it won't be covered by that warranty I've got! :censored:

mollysue

Post by mollysue »

Hi

Sorry to hear you are still having problems with your car. I have copied some info from the CAB consumer page for you (see below). You need to write to the garage and warranty company ASAP with the problems you have had with the car, also how much it has cost to repair to date. This is what Trading Standards will tell you to do. The garage then has 30 days to reply.

There is more info on the website http://www.adviceguide.org.uk, go to consumer then cars and other vehicles.

It won't get resolved over night, but once you get Trading Standards involved you may be amazed how quickly the garage are to help resolve the problem. My car was repaired within 3 days of Trading Standards contacting the garage. It would have cost me £900 to get the repairs done myself but as I stated previously it cost me nothing :D

Got everything xd for you, keep us posted :thumbs:

If the car you bought turns out to be faulty, your rights and options depend on who you bought it from and what you were told about the car before you bought it.

If you bought a second hand car, the expectations of quality will almost always be lower than if you bought a new one. This doesn’t mean that you don’t have rights, but it may be harder to claim it was faulty when you bought it, if you have been using the car for some time.

Top tips

Documentation

Make sure you keep all the documents relating to the car, such as independent inspections or information you were given about the car. This will make it easier for you to sort out the problem if the car turns out to be faulty or does not match its description.

Who did you buy the car from?

Your rights are different depending on whether you bought from a dealer or a private seller. If you bought the car from:
•a dealer, it must be of satisfactory quality. If the car turns out to be faulty, you may be able to get a full refund, insist that it is repaired or ask for a replacement
•a private seller, you can't argue it isn't of satisfactory quality. If the car turns out to be faulty, there is little you can do unless you can show that the seller did not give a correct description of the car.

What were you told about the car?

When you buy a car it must match its description. This applies whether you bought it from a dealer or a private seller. So if the seller made false statements about the car’s condition or withheld information that may have made you change your mind, you can ask them to repair the car or give you your money back.

Top tips

Guarantee or warranty

If you have a warranty or guarantee for your car, this may provide a way for you to have faults corrected at little or no cost. It is important to remember that they are not a substitute for your legal rights, but are in addition to them. A dealer cannot refuse to consider your complaint about a fault with a car, just because the warranty has expired or the type of fault is specifically excluded.

If the dealer pointed out a fault before you bought the car

If the dealer says they pointed a car’s fault out to you before you bought it, you may not be able to complain. However, you may still be able to get the dealer to do something about it if they did not point out the full extent of the defects. For example, if they told you the clutch was stiff but it was in fact worn through, you can still ask them to sort out the problem.

If you inspected the car

The dealer might say that you should have noticed the fault when you inspected the car. If the fault was obvious, such as rusty bodywork or dents, and you did inspect the car, it is unlikely you can ask the dealer to sort the problem out once you own the car.

If the fault is something less obvious, like an engine problem or worn out clutch, you should point out that you examined the car as a layperson, so could only be expected to gain a general impression of it. If you did not examine the car yourself, you should also say so.

What to do if the car you bought doesn’t match its description.

How long ago did you buy it?

If you find there's a problem, what you can do will depend how long ago you bought the car.

You discover the fault within six months

You discover the fault within six months of you buying the car, it is presumed that the fault was present when you bought it.

If the dealer disputes this, it is up to them to prove the fault was not present. A pre-sale ‘tick box’ check of the car’s mechanical condition when it was sold is not sufficient. Neither is a paper you have signed which says something like "examined and found satisfactory in all respects." They need to provide reasonable evidence, such as an independent report into the car’s condition.

You discover the fault more than six months after you bought the car

If you discover the fault more than six months after you bought the car, it is up to you to provide evidence that it was faulty when you bought it. You can do this by getting an independent expert’s report into the car’s condition.

If you want your money back

You may be able to ask for a full refund if:
•the fault is serious
•it is within a reasonable time of the sale, and
•you have stopped using the car.

Sometimes a partial refund is more appropriate, for example if you have used the car for some time before you noticed the problem.

Getting the car repaired or a replacement

If the fault is minor, such as a worn out clutch, it might be more appropriate to ask for the car to be repaired. You could also ask for a replacement car. The replacement should be of a similar age, mileage and model as the car you're handing back.

You may be able to claim compensation for any other loss you've had as a result of the fault.