Leaks Galore!!!

Any problems assoicated with leaks
newuser

Leaks Galore!!!

Post by newuser »

I am glad I found this place where I can hope to get some sound advise. I have a 2005 plate 206 cc with 123,000 miles on it.

I had to take my car in when I got a battery charging fault. I was told that I have to replace the alternator. When they checked the car, they found a list of things that needed to be changed:
1. Alternator
2. Timing Belt
3. Engine mounting
4. Gearbox mounting
5. Leaking radiator housing
6. Leaking steering fluid which requires the steering assembly to be changed
7. Leaking air conditioner possibly evaporator.
8. Leaking water pump

With all these issues, its perhaps time to junk the car. I am looking at expenses about 50% of the value of the car?? I just have a feeling that when I fix these issues, something else might crop up. Can anyone help me with suggestions on how to decide whether to fix these issues or just look for another car?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Kind Regards

suegriff

Re: Leaks Galore!!!

Post by suegriff »

hi
was this a dealer or back street garage, do you have it in writing? if so i take somewhere else first, right
No1 on list charging fault then perhaps it could be that u need a new one, no2 on list cam belt should been done at 80,000 best place to ask is pug dealer when next change is have u service history with car, no  3,4 have jack car up on lift to find if these have gone i think, 5,8 has lost and coolant lately? water pumps behind timing cover!! no ac is gas filled if has leaked is not thing that u need doing right away..... i spend little bit on having these things checked before i give away money to them....

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Wise words Sue.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

newuser

Post by newuser »

Thank you, sue and capncol. I did get it checked at the dealer. The original list was from the dealer.

I got the alternator and the timing belts done so far. Cost me about 500 GBP!!!! The dealers are a rip off in Bahrain. I am thinking of ordering the other parts online and getting it fixed a local garage.

I was wondering if its ok to use chinese parts (for starter motor and engine / gearbox mountings) instead of the parts that the dealer sells. They have quoted 1000 GBP for a steering rack assembly!!! I cant believe the prices they quote here in the middle east.

The air conditioning has been holding up so far since I refilled the gas. (R134a).

Thank you for the suggestions !