Toasted 206 return to former glory

Anything related to the 206CC
Enright

Toasted 206 return to former glory

Post by Enright »

Hi all,
I've just registered because I'm looking for a 206 CC for my other half.
We live a few miles North of Nottingham, and have had too many vehicles littering the drive for too long.
However the last surplus one was sold a couple of weeks ago, so now there's space for a new "project".

SWMBO wants a black 1.6 with a leather interior and low mileage.
I would like something that needs a bit of TLC to bring it back to life, but which has "potential".
In the past year I've saved 3 cars that were only destined for the great big garage in the sky, but they were all for me.
Now I need to reward her patience by providing something that she can be proud of (but which isn't going to break the bank)!

I'm handy with spanners and haven't managed to blow up myself or permanently fry any electrics just yet, but am no good with bodywork unless simple bolt-ons will solve the problem.
My daily driver is just about to be fitted with a tow-bar, and being nice and central in the country little is beyond reach. So if you know of anything which fits the above criteria, please can you let me know either in this thread or via PM?
Ta! :D
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Mine: Daily driver; Mk2 MG ZS+ (TD). Current projects; 2 x Lotus Elan SE Turbos
Previous project: 56 plate 206 CC 1.6 Sport (with added Allure!)

Capncol

Re: Newbie from Notts on the hunt for a CC

Post by Capncol »

Hi And welcome to the forum.
There are a few for sale in our "Stuff for sale" section. Worth a look.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Enright

Post by Enright »

I've stumbled across something very interesting, and with a bit of luck may soon be pestering the mods to turn this "intro/wanted" thread into a full-on “return to former glory” project!

The missus wanted a black 206 CC 1.6 with as low mileage as possible, and that’s exactly what this is, although the reasons behind the low mileage are not the happiest:

The car is a 56 plate, and was coming up to its first MoT in 2009, having done just 6k per year, when the battery went bang in a big way. To be fair the damage could have been a lot worse. It looks from the discussions I’ve had and the pics I’ve been sent as though the battery tray, engine wiring loom and bonnet suffered the most from the resulting fire. But it was enough at the time to get the car written off as a Cat D, and it’s been sitting at the back of a barn on a farm ever since. Meanwhile all the necessary replacement parts have been collected together, but the salvage yard (who normally break ‘em up for bits) simply hasn’t had chance to put it all back together again. They’re very busy, and now for the right price are prepared to let the whole lot go as a kit of parts.

The spannering and electrical work doesn’t bother me at all. I’m awful with bodywork repairs, but any that are required on this car should either be simple bolt-ons, or hidden anyway.

I’ll try and upload a copy of the pics that I’ve been sent, but will be travelling oop North to see it, and hopefully drag it back home, this weekend.

Would anyone like to take a stab at what they think it might be worth in its current state?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Enright

Post by Enright »

Here are a few more pics:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Enright

Post by Enright »

Oh, and one last one of the scary bit! :D
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Your a brave man!
Before you commit yourself to this car, it's worth bearing in mind the various ecu's may have taken a hit, and you should consider the cost of replacing BSI, ECU, and roof ECU. The BSI & ECU are coded together along with the key.
Keep us posted.
As to it's current value, I personally wouldn't go above £500 looking at the work involved.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

Enright

Post by Enright »

That's a really useful reply, thank you. I wouldn't have known about the BSI, ECU and key coding so it's a good one for the check-list when I get there for the viewing. Not just that it's present, but that it's a matched set too. Might demonstrate that I've done my homework too, and make them less likely to try to pull the wool over my eyes.

I'm either brave or stupid, but I've resurrected 4 cars in the last year, and 3 of them are still going strong. I drive one, my Dad drives another, I recently sold one and the last one got taken out by a muppet in a Ford Focus. I now sometimes visit it at the scrappy to pull bits off it again! Here are a couple more pics which hopefully will convince people that I'm more brave (and a maybe a little bit competent) than stupid. They are of my daily car in the state that I found it, and how it looks now.

I've noticed that Haynes covers the 206 CC, but is it any good? And what about those "Peugeot 206 and 406 Workshop Manuals" that you see for a couple of quid on ebay - worth bothering with or a waste of time?

The salvage place and I haven't really discussed the price of the car much. Initially the owner's son plucked a figure of £1800 out of mid air, but I told the owner that wasn't very realistic when I spoke to him later, and he wasn't put off, so I know there's room for movement on that. I'm sure they simply wouldn't sell me the car for £500. My thought is half way between the 2 would be about right, but even then the seller may be reluctant because it will have suffered a lot of depreciation since it was bought in 2009, and he could be selling at a loss.

The thing is, I know there's potential for it to be a good car if it's given a bit of TLC, and I'm getting itchy for a new project anyway - a dangerous combination!

Will definitely keep you posted.
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Enright

Post by Enright »

BTW I've done a bit of a search (and hate scatterbombing forums with new threads), but I can't find a decent buyer's guide. Do you have one one here, or could anyone provide me with a link to a good one please?
Ta! :D
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Thar is the one with all the linkies to stuff on this site. If she doesn't reply here send her a PM. You will find her listed in the mods section
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Thar

Post by Thar »

Hi Enright and welcome!

We don't have a buyers guide as such, but are often asked what to look out for when buying a 206cc.

The obvious thing to check for is a fully functioning roof. Roof problems can be difficult to diagnose and costly if you don't know what to look for. Also check for leaks. Minor leaks can usually be fixed, but if you open the door and find the car has it's own pool, then walk away!

If you are buying a car around the 10 years old mark/80,000 miles (petrol) , then you need to check that the timing belt and the water pump have been replaced.

Old batteries can be a cause of problems, but are fairly reasonable to source from dealers.

Other than that, it's the usual service history etc.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted!

I've done a quick search on the new and have come up with a few links that you may want to check over -

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used ... y/23519-1/

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/pe ... -cc-2000/?

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/news-a ... yers_guide

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/carte ... 05090.html

And this site gives all the various specs available -

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motoring/ca ... 998-10%29/
Image...............

Life's too short to drive around with your top on! :D

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Told you :thumbs:
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Enright

Post by Enright »

That's excellent - thanks! :thumbs:
Now what about those ebay manuals on CD - worth bothering with or not?
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Haynes manual is as good as anything.. That stuff on ebay seems to be mainly pirated software so caveat emptor.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Enright

Post by Enright »

Got it.
Spent the afternoon/early evening going up to Durham and dragging it back to Nottingham.
Now I need to crash out. Will post a few pics ASAP (maybe tomorrow).
Lots to do - this is going to be a BIG project - possibly the largest/most complex I've tackled. I've got to replace both the engine wiring loom and the main one. But it should be a lovely little car when it's done.
I even got a spare engine and a replacement battery thrown in, as well as just about everything else I need to do the job.
BCingU,
Neil. ;)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Can we ask what you paid for it?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)