Gearbox problem

All your other probs if any.
leegsi

Re: Gearbox problem

Post by leegsi »

What bearings make the gearbox noisy? And are they easy to replace?

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Any of them can cause noise. What are the symptoms?
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

daniboy123

Post by daniboy123 »

Thanks. I opened the box up yesterday and found that one of the diff bearings had collapsed leading to the final drive gear being damaged as the diff jumped around. Peugeot want £240 for this part alone so I'm looking for another gearbox now.
Just out of interest how do you remove the primary and secondary shafts with removing the selector mechanism first as that's what you seem to have done in your guide col whereas the other guide shows the selector being removed first.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

The selector fork come out along with gear clusters if you remove roll pins first
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

daniboy123

Post by daniboy123 »

I removed the roll pins from the two selector shafts and then tried to remove the gear shafts and selector forks without removing the gear selector mechanism but could see how it came out with removing that as well if that makes any sense. Anyway it's done now, just ordered a new box.

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

Capncol wrote: It was making an ominous knocking noise in reverse (as if a tooth was missing) but it was fine in every other gear, with no other noises.
That would make it A+ Ok in my book and best left alone.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

tiborkertesz

Post by tiborkertesz »

Hi to all

Lately I had some issues with my 206 1.6 16v, when pressing the clutch pedal in neutral the gearbox is quiet, but when ( the car moving ) I engage the first gear with the clutch pedal pressed, a sound like gears moving ( like when you are in retro gear) starts, and faster you go higher it sounds. It also sounds in the 2nd gear but more silent. I'm very worried about it, and now I'm not using the car. Also it has a gearbox leak somewhere between the gearbox and motor.

any help will be appreciated !

regards

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Sounds like layshaft bearings. It will need a gearbox strip down to find the cause in any case. If you have a gearbox oil leak, it may have caused the bearings to run dry
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

klmkerri

Post by klmkerri »

If any of you are interested I have a Peugeot 206 hydraulic clutch gearbox (20DL79) I want rid asap cos it's just in the way

tenpole

Post by tenpole »

Might help to say where you are.
206cc 1.6 2002 Silver.
L200 2.4 Forlife (wifes)
CB 400/4 (garaged for 15 years)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Unlikely to be near Venezuela!!
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

tiborkertesz

Post by tiborkertesz »

hahahaha, yeah... don't think it's near Venezuela! Ok so I'll check tomorrow the oil level of the gearbox. And soon, this week of the next week I will get the gearbox out and look for the noise problem.

Thanks Capncol! this post was very helpful !

matore

Post by matore »

Capncol wrote:Hi and welcome. Most of the info is on our site.
{can’t post urls} just follow the link to gearbox.
Hello Capncol! I’ve found this thread looking for an issue and I’ve seen you know the MA pretty well. Hopefully you can point me out. I haven’t introduced myself to the forum as my car is not a 206.
I recently bought a 05 C2 1.4 petrol, this very same gearbox, 5700 miles on the clock. Everything I could check seems to match the mileage, also its MOT history. Pretty impressive. I did the cambelt myself as soon as I could, for what I could find it had never been done.

The other day as I went out of 5th gear the lever remained to the right. After some help it centered again. I managed to get back home. I thought the link cables were gone, but I disconnected them from the gearbox end and the lever is perfectly smooth. The problem seems to be in the box itself, when moving the pivot by hand it feels rough. After a few shakes it softened and drove several miles fine.

Is this some common issue?

Can it be something simple as low oil or lack of usage stiffness somewhere? I am thinking of trying an oil change and see what happens. Any thoughts?
Gear changes are really smooth, no crunches or strange noises, just the pivot movement for 1st/2nd or 5th/R. Once it gets sideways, all gears go perfectly in. It would be really bad news to have a major problem with it!

Thank you in advance!!
Best regards
Andres

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Hi Andres
Can it be something simple as low oil or lack of usage stiffness somewhere? I am thinking of trying an oil change
I would try this first. I don't usually advocate "cures-in-a-bottle", but years ago I had a Landrover 90 with the Santana gearbox and they were noted for "Balking up" in first. Gearbox oil change, and exactly the same. A mate of mine swore by Slick 50, so with nothing to lose, I tried it. No more problems for as long as I owned it.

I would suggest oil change with Slick 50 additive and let us know how you get on.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

matore

Post by matore »

Hi Col, thanks for your answer!

Sorry I didn’t come back earlier, I didn’t get a notification!
It has been working fine all week, although I already got the oil and pretend to do it later today. Will report how that goes and next step will be Slick 50. I assume it is the Manual Gearbox 80ml? There is quite a range of Slicks.

I read somewhere about removing the counterweight arm, does that make any difference? Apparently they even stopped installing it a couple of years later.

Thank you once again, kind regards
Andres