Is my car difficult to steal or should I buy a tracker?

Other things in here.......
lowfat

Is my car difficult to steal or should I buy a tracker?

Post by lowfat »

Hi All,
I have a 52 reg 206cc 1997cc.
I am a bit of a worrier and seeing as my car is a convertible I am worried that it could be easy to steal. It comes with an alarm and immobiliser from the manufacturer obviously but should I invest in some more security? I would be interested to hear of any statistics/league tables for example the top 50 most secure cars etc. Thanks

Capncol

Re: Is my car difficult to steal or should I buy a tracker?

Post by Capncol »

No harder or easier than a hard top (unless you leave it with the roof down) Most cars now days, seem to be stolen using the owners keys (after burglary) as immobilisers are becoming harder to beat.
Trackers don't prevent car theft, they just make it easier to get back. Let's face it, would you want it back after some toe rag has screamed it around for a few hours?
The trackers I have seen seem to need some sort of monthly payment for the monitoring. It's down to you at the end of the day.
I wouldn't bother personally. I have a tracker in my Mercedes (was in it when I bought it) but I haven't bothered renewing the contract.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

2brian04

Re: Is my car difficult to steal or should I buy a tracker?

Post by 2brian04 »

I only found this out the other day but using the remote central locking button on the key fob, only partly locks the car and does not engage the alarm!!!!

If you use the normal button to lock it then after the indicator lights turn off press the second button (the smaller one) this engages the deadlock and alarm

NOTE: You CANT open the doors from the inside when the deadlock/alarm is engaged, only via the normal lock button on the remote or via the key in the drivers side.