Falling in love!

Other things in here.......
AllenConquest

Falling in love!

Post by AllenConquest »

Hi, I'm one of the strange breed of men who didn't learn to drive young. In fact my test is at the beginning of May. I've been looking round for a car and have fallen in love with the 206cc. I found this forum while I was Googling my way around.

I've got my eye on a car on AutoTrader and would really appreciate some expert opinions on whether this would be a good buy. The car is here: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

I just love the look of the cream leather :thumbs:

Thanks,

Allen

GrandadMonkey

Re: Falling in love!

Post by GrandadMonkey »

The car looks fine Allen. Googled the dealer but couldn't find them.

Just make sure everything works as it should, that all the paperwork is in order, all service history and owners manual, key code card and bar code strip, locking wheel nut key - all the usual stuff. Take it for a good test drive and get a feel for the car. Make sure the roof works perfectly. Check out the dents that are mentioned and make sure you'll be able to put up with them.

The price looks OK for a dealer - clearly you can get similar for about £3500 but you may find you can negotiate the dealer down a little if you have no car to part-exchange. You should be able to. Take someone along with you - two pairs of eyes are better than one - and if they are good at negotiating, so much the better.

Good luck. If your gut feeling says no - just walk away.

Let us know how you get on.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

AllenConquest

Post by AllenConquest »

Thanks for taking a look. I spoke with the dealer. He said his main job is as builder, but he also deals in cars. Sounded very genuine and friendly.

I read a review on Parkers of the 206cc and they weren't too compimentary about it. They say the pedals are too close and the drivers position is strange. That it is noisy and the visability is poor.

Would be interested to hear from an actual driver of their opinion.

Thanks

Allen

52nd of February

Post by 52nd of February »

Hi Allen,

It's true - the pedals are very close together - that's the first thing I noticed when I first took mine for a drive. The driving position isn't too bad in my opinion but I'm only 165cm. I've had my car for more than 2 years now and I have gotten used to it all, it's no trouble :)

The squeaking can be solved with application of a silicon jelly to the rubber seals. Mine used to squeak unbearably before I put some jelly on its seals - but it can't squeak when the roof's in the boot! :P Also, turning up the radio would usually do the job.

As for visibility - the roof pillars can sometimes get in your way but I haven't had that problem too much. 2 of them can go but the front two can't - and that rake on them doesn't help. Rear visibility is pretty good - the car always seems to be shorter than you'd think so I've never had any trouble with parking in tight spaces.

Some other things - they go through brake pads fast because they're very heavy cars. Your cooler climate means it won't be as bad for you but you'll still be replacing them more often than in the hatchback version.

Check the inside for water damage, particularly the carpets and the door/wall cards. When these cars start leaking, fixing can be a real hassle!

When you watch the roof in operation, it should take about 22 seconds and all should be smooth with no jolts or hesitations.

But all in all, they are wonderful cars. Yes, things can go wrong but not all of them are lemons and as long as the one you're buying appears to check out, I guarantee you many happy hours of driving :)

p.s. I love the cream leather in your one too! :D

AllenConquest

Post by AllenConquest »

Thanks for you insights. I was starting to think it might not be the car for me. As I said in the original post, I've not even passed my test yet, so this would be my first car. I'm also about 165cm so I think I'll fit ok :thumbs:

My problem as I don't have a full license is that I'll have to find somebody to go with me as I can't drive it alone. When I spoke to the seller he said he has someone else coming on Saturday to look at it, and I don't thinking can make it their today :( I might miss out. Anyone near Dartford who could help me out?

Thanks

Allen

jackieboi206

Post by jackieboi206 »

Dont be put off by negative reviews of the 206cc......
It is a very fun little car to drive around and for the price you'll pay on second hand ones today, they are good value, especially as the roof is a hard top convertible.

As I have size 12 feet, I do find the pedals a bit close together-but its not unbearable, its like anything you buy, once you've used it for a while, you will get used to it.

Ive had three convertibles in the past and the 206cc is the best by far.

Its just a case of looking around and finding one thats been looked after, and well maintained.

Theres actually a nice orange one for sale on this forum and the seller says her husband is a mechanic and it has been well looked after by him, maybe look at that one?

Good luck with your test, and dont be put off by reviews online, try the car yourself and make your own conclusions.

Jack

jackieboi206

Post by jackieboi206 »

oh and PS, being an ex car salesman, im very ANTI - Parkers guide, there are a lot more reliable car reveiw companys (cap, Whatcar etc...) out there, Parkers isn't worth the paper its printed on (in my opinion!) Lol

AllenConquest

Post by AllenConquest »

Thanks Jackie. Was starting to think too much about it and analyse the pros and cons, when really this is a decision for the heart, not the head :lol:

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

I tend to disagree. Use your head not your heart.

Here we have a builder, who sells the odd car to supplement his income. Of course he sounds genuine and friendly - he's trying to sell the car to make a profit out of you. What come-back will you have if the car turns out to have faults? Will he put it right for you once he's got your money? Get real ! You sound so naive - just the sort of person the seller is looking for.

When you say you can't get to see it quickly, he says he has someone else coming to see it. Typical salesman's talk. Don't be afraid of missing out on this one, there'll be another along tomorrow. Look for a genuine one owner private seller who is simply selling to buy another new Peugeot, or because they are getting a company car. We did, and we've had no problems with our car which had been cherished and well loved my its first lady owner, and similarly by us.
Ron

AllenConquest

Post by AllenConquest »

Thanks for the reality check! But when I said about my heart over my head, it wasn't about this particular car, but rather whether to get a 206cc or a Corsa (which I'm learning in). Also I didn't even mention on the phone about not being able to come straightaway. He mentioned the other buyer, but I realise that can still be a ploy to get me there quickly. I'll see if the car is still on AutoTrader on Monday.

I have my eye in another on too that is a private seller, but that is even further from me.

Thanks for all your comments. I might be naive, but I'll definitely be going with someone else.

Thar

Post by Thar »

Mmm...a 206cc or a Corsa... :scratch:
Image...............

Life's too short to drive around with your top on! :D

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Many learners end up buying the type of car they have there lessons in. Probably one of the reasons why we see so many Fiat 500s around these days.

The Corsa is a sensible first car - as long as it doesn't suffer from the dreaded camshaft problem that causes them to snap after about 5 years / 30,000 miles. If you get one, particularly a 1.2 petrol, for goodness sake make sure the camshaft retaining bolts are tight. Vauxhall have recently issued a recall notice regarding this issue - at long last!

Doesn't compare with a 206cc though - in the springtime and summer.
Ron

AllenConquest

Post by AllenConquest »

I'm set on a 206cc now. But I want to make sure I get a good one. Has anyone posted a sort of checklist when looking at a used one, or could someone produce a bullet point list of what I should check. I know there are some hints in the previous posts, but is there anything else I should look out for? I heard something about weak column stems in some years models.

Thanks

Allen.

AllenConquest

Post by AllenConquest »

Update: The car I was looking at sold before I could get to see it. But this evening I went and saw another one http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

This one is a bit more expensive, but no "supermarket dents". The roof is lovely and smooth, and the seals look good too (no squeaks). A quick test drive around London revealed no problems, but unable to reach any speed due to traffic and speed cameras!

I negotiated him down to £4250 so far, and said I would get back to him for another viewing (it was getting too dark to see everything properly). Think he is willing to go lower, as he has just got a Merc and doesn't have room for both.

It has just been MOT'd (last week) and has 6 months road Tax.

I'm planning to go back tomorrow. Any tips of what to look for.

I got a friend to do an HPI check and he has just sent me a text saying that the car is on finance with Black Horse Finance and has had a change of registration! He said don't buy unless I have a letter from the finance house stating clear title and debt paid. I also need an explanation of the registration change.

Being my first car, I'm new to this. So what does that mean in layman's terms?

Thanks,

Allen

52nd of February

Post by 52nd of February »

AllenConquest wrote: I got a friend to do an HPI check and he has just sent me a text saying that the car is on finance with Black Horse Finance and has had a change of registration! He said don't buy unless I have a letter from the finance house stating clear title and debt paid. I also need an explanation of the registration change.

Being my first car, I'm new to this. So what does that mean in layman's terms?

Thanks,

Allen
Yep, don't ever buy a car with outstanding fincance on it. The finance company technically owns the car. When you give the money to the "owner" and the car is put into your name, they can stop making repayments. Then who will the finance company come after? The person the car is registered to = you. They can legally take the car off you and sell it to get their money. Doesn't matter what you paid the "owner" - a car without a clear title isn't really yours! It's the same with stolen vehicles - when the police find it (and they will) it will be taken off you and there's nothing you can do, and no reimbursement.

Registration change sounds shifty - because that's what you'd do to a stolen car - but I'm not sure on that one, it might mean something different over there in the UK.

But yeah, DON'T buy any car that doesn't have a clear title!