Developed the dreaded leak...

Any problems assoicated with leaks
52nd of February

Developed the dreaded leak...

Post by 52nd of February »

I considered myself extremely lucky to be blessed with a watertight car. But alas, here I am posting in this section. You may have heard of the floods we're having here in Australia. My poor car has been left outside in the constant and/or pelting rain and now the roof seal just behind the rear quarter window drips rather severely and soaks the side of the back seat behind the driver. It is only affecting the joint as far as I can tell, the part where the two seals meet - the rest of the seal that runs along the roof seems to be holding up well, as is the corresponding seal join on the other side. Family have suggested sealant, putty etc but it's a joint for a moving part so that won't last long, my ever-so-helpful Nan told me "Oh, well, you can't use the roof anymore" :rotfl:

So my question is, does anybody know of a fix, apart from having the entire seal replaced? The stories I've heard of reseals aren't too favoureable - not working, and then causing leaks in other places that previously didn't leak, or is that not actually what happens? I've had a look at other threads which suggest the silicon lubricant - I used it on the front seal and was great for shutting it up but if it doesn't work, I don't really see any alternatives to an expensive reseal :(

Thanks for any imput in advance :)

Thar

Re: Developed the dreaded leak...

Post by Thar »

I'm not surprised your car has developed a leak after the amount of rain you've had over there! :yikes: I had a leak in a similar place and the silicone spray sorted it out for me but maybe mine wasn't so bad. My car lives in the garage overnight during the Winter so it doesn't get tested in the worst of our weather. I would certainly try it first though, fingers crossed! :)
Image...............

Life's too short to drive around with your top on! :D

52nd of February

Post by 52nd of February »

Thanks Thar, I will definitely give it a go and see what happens :) The good news is, my car has been promoted to the garage while the Mercedes has been kicked outside :rotfl:

Hayley19

Post by Hayley19 »

Hi,

I have got the leak over the rear quarter window and its dripping onto the back seat. I have been out and got some Silicone Lubricant to spray on the seal. I know it sounds silly but was wondering if anyone could give me some more idea of where exactly to spray this to? Just directly on the seal over the the rear quarter window? :)

Thar

Post by Thar »

I spray some onto a cloth and wipe it over all the rubber seals I can get access to. This can mean lowering the roof to access the roof joins from the boot. I would do the whole car, rather than the one problem area if you have the time, expecially as we are having a lot of wet weather at the moment. If any goes onto the bodywork, just wipe it off with a seperate cloth. It shouldn't do any damage but it looks greasy.
Image...............

Life's too short to drive around with your top on! :D