My NUTS are so tight :-P

Hint'n'tips plus products
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

:D :D
You may already know, my nuts on my rear wheel are so tight they wont come off. Myself and the 'heavies' have tried with a telescopic wheel brace and a cross wheel brace/wrench...
And they wont budge - was told my nuts have no locking nut but thought I ask on here where your more likely to know than me.
All the nuts are the same, there dosent seem to be one on any of my wheels different in shape or with a round key hole thingy as soon on pics on the net under 'Locking wheel nut' and noe have slots of shafts down the sides.

There were no plastic nut covers, I did wonder if my car had chrome ones on and what looks like rusty wheel nuts are indeed rusty chrome covers? The plastic tool in the boot of car wont fit behind the what look like bolts so I assume no covers...?

Any help appreciated :D :thumbs:

Last edited by Ollie on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Ollie,
Leave the car on the ground with the handbrake on and chock the wheels. I use a long scaffolding pole on the longest socket bar I have for situations such as these, and I haven't been beaten yet (I know, famous last words...) although I have bent the odd bar in my time.
With my sylph like figure standing on the end of a five foot long scaffold pipe my 15 stone weight converts to more than 1000 foot pounds! Be careful you don't hurt yourself if anything slips. Make sure you are turning the bolts anti-clockwise.
Only jack the car up to take the wheel off when you have all 4 bolts turning freely.
If necessary do one bolt at a time, remove it, clean it up, lubricate it, replace it and move on to the next bolt.

Hopefully once you get them moving they'll come out fairly easily and you won't have to clean them up individually first. But don't jack the car up until you have all 4 moving on the wheel.

When you have got the bolts out clean up the ends of the threads using a wire brush to remove any dirt and rust. Lightly grease the threads and the chamfers and do them up to 66 pound feet torque using a torque wrench. That should avoid any similar problem in the future.

Ron
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Thanks again Ron, brilliant advice.
I didnt jack car up, did the first time round last week or week before, then after I read in manual I left it on the ground, I'm so strong when turning anit clockwise up towards me I was lifting the car off the ground, which didnt seem a good thing as I thought I might be doing dameage to the wheel.
I ordered a cross spanner thingy/wrench and jumped on it many times, I am about 14 stone 5'11" and didnt budge, bent the cross bar slightly :|

I have a metal pole in the garage I think I will give that a try, thanks for the clean up advice as shall do this if I get them off to make it a bit easier in future, especially if I'm to make good use of this space saver wheel. If I fail I'll have to bite the bullet and call a mobile fitter.
Shall keep you posted
Thank You again :thumbs:

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Just curios, but the lion logo in the middle of the wheel moves round, I thought maybe this unscrewed and I would find something to flip or click to assit the bolts to move, daft I know, but is there a reason or purpose for this to move around freely? It didnt come off or feel as though it was was just easy to turn anti clockwise, just curious ? :D :thumbs:

Thar

Post by Thar »

Have you tried spraying WD40 on the wheel nuts to see if it will help to loosen them?
Image...............

Life's too short to drive around with your top on! :D

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Thar wrote:Have you tried spraying WD40 on the wheel nuts to see if it will help to loosen them?
Not yet, my mother keeps telling me to try it, but nowhere seems to have any locally, a 14 mile treck to Halfords, its finding the time in my busy life, will get there in the end, all this for a wheel....lol :D

Thar

Post by Thar »

No WD40...:yikes: Every home should have some!

http://www.wd40.co.uk/media/images/a/8/ ... 0_USES.pdf

Cleaning rusty bolts is on the list. I also use it to remove tar spots from the bodywork of my car.

Some more "unusual" uses listed here My favourite being "Free a tongue stuck to frozen metal in winter. Spray WD-40 on the metal around the tongue." :rotfl:
Image...............

Life's too short to drive around with your top on! :D

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

By all means give the WD40 a go if you want to, but I think the problem will be corrosion on the far end of the stud threads where they exit the wheel hub on the inside. So the WD40 will never get there and you'll just be wasting your time and money. And if you think about spraying the other end of the wheel bolt with WD40 think carefully before doing that, you don't want to contaminate your brakes.

I really think the answer is a long scaffold pole in conjunction with a strong socket set. Don't use a cheap set, you'll just break the socket.
Ron

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

GrandadMonkey wrote:By all means give the WD40 a go if you want to, but I think the problem will be corrosion on the far end of the stud threads where they exit the wheel hub on the inside. So the WD40 will never get there and you'll just be wasting your time and money. And if you think about spraying the other end of the wheel bolt with WD40 think carefully before doing that, you don't want to contaminate your brakes.

I really think the answer is a long scaffold pole in conjunction with a strong socket set. Don't use a cheap set, you'll just break the socket.
I thought I had a scafollding pole in the garage turns out to be a an aireal pole, bent in seconds, I borrowed one from down the road :o

I think I have to admit defeat, as I cant find a strong enough pole or similar around, buy some new nuts online and get the mobile kwik fit tyre man to come and sort my tyre and see if he will change me nuts at the same time, but your advice is duly noted for future reference, I feel all mechanically minded already :D :thumbs:

Beach Babe

Post by Beach Babe »

Well Olli,

You know you can get lubrication for that problem eh ! :redface:

Beach Babe

xx

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Beach Babe wrote:Well Olli,

You know you can get lubrication for that problem eh ! :redface:

Beach Babe

xx
You wont believe it, but word had spread amongst my friends and they all rallied round and I am now sat here with my nuts in my hands....... LOOK...

A friend of mine with lots of muscle and a wrench made for his work van where the handle was almost as tall as him had them off in seconds, he said he had never shifted nuts that tight. I said about cleaning them up and he said no need, they look as good as new. Now I have to find a window inbetween work (self-employed) to get a new tyre :thumbs:
BTW there not my real hands :D

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Well done.
Ron

Beach Babe

Post by Beach Babe »

Well done Ollie

Just get that wheel sorted out and start driving your PUG around ! not a Renault !!! :yikes:

Beach Babe
Last edited by Beach Babe on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.