How to - Topping up hydraulic fluid in roof pump

All your roof problems here.
cheekee

How to - Topping up hydraulic fluid in roof pump

Post by cheekee »

This morning I have been successful in topping up the hydraulic fluid in the roof pump.

I am posting how to do it to hopefully help others.

The oil you need from peugeot is part no: 9735.57.

The following video is useful in identifying the way the hydraulic system works and the location of the pump.

1) remove trim to expose the cowling (case) the pump sits in.

2) Use an allen key to release the pressure (as in manual roof proceedure).

3) free the pump from the cowling so you can stand it on its end with the reservoir at the bottom. Be careful not to stress the hydraulic lines.

4) carefully remove the jubilee clip that surrounds the fluid reservoir.

5) very carefully pull the reservoir off the pump so not to spill any hydraulic fluid and top up as required. keep pump in vertical position or place gently on some rags so not to loose any hydraulic fluid from the pump and introduce any air bubbles.

6) refit reservoir to pump and retighten the jubilee clip. It just presses back on. Ensure jubilee clip is in same position as before.

7) refit pump into cowling and re-tighten allen bolt. refit trim.

8) Test roof opening and closure.

Has worked fine for me. Am very pleased that I dont have to take it to peugeot to have them do it.
Last edited by cheekee on Fri May 06, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Beach Babe

Post by Beach Babe »

Hi ya

When should you top up the hydraulic fluid ? Is this something that should be done regularly, or just when a problem arises :question:

p.s. Nice car :rolleyes:

Beach Babe
Last edited by Beach Babe on Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

cheekee

Post by cheekee »

The fluid should be topped up if the reservoir looks like its less than a third full.

The hydraulic system can sometimes have tiny leaks so over time a small amount of oil is lost.

Eventually the roof mechanism slows and can stop all together if the hydraulic fluid level is inadequate. I think there is also a risk of damage to the pump/hydraulics and I know a new roof pump will set you back over £1000.

It is sensible to every so often check the oil level.

I had a peugeot 306 cabriolet before the 206 cc and the oil level in the hydraulic pump dropped over time with no obvious leaks detectable.
Last edited by cheekee on Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vasko_izgrev

Post by vasko_izgrev »

Can You Please tell me, how to check the oil level in the pump? Thank You!

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

vasko_izgrev wrote:Can You Please tell me, how to check the oil level in the pump? Thank You!
Yes me too - I seen a few posts on this including the above and have wondered where to look to check the level. Was in my boot the other day doing the 3rd brake light, did have a gander but so much plastic and carpet panneling I didnt know where to look :drunk: :D

cheekee

Post by cheekee »

Ok :D

Looking at the back of the boot (Standing at the back of the car looking in) to the right hand side you should see the white circle of plastic through a hole in the trim with the allen key bolt you loosen to release the pressure during a manual roof proceedure. Remove the back carpet trim where this is by unpopping the plastic popper things (use a flathead screwdriver to lever out the middle and then they will pull out) and you will see the pump casing behind the white circle of plastic. It has 2 elastic straps round it.

Undo the 2 straps and open the case. The hydraulic roof pump is inside.

Look at the reservoir which is located on the right end of the pump. It should be about 2/3 full. Some pumps have lines on the reservoir indicating the minimum/maximum level.

If it requires topping up follow the instructions as above.

Hope that helps.

:thumbs:
Last edited by cheekee on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrict

Re: How to - Topping up hydraulic fluid in roof pump

Post by patrict »

Hi guys,

These seem to be the actual Peugeot instructions for checking/topping up the hydraulic pump old level:

http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/repair-20 ... id0bf3.htm

HTH
Patric

Thar

Post by Thar »

patrict wrote:Hi guys,

These seem to be the actual Peugeot instructions for checking/topping up the hydraulic pump old level:

http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/repair-20 ... id0bf3.htm

HTH
Patric
Yes, this site hosts a very detailed repair manual. It came in handy when I had some minor problems recently. The index is here http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/repair-206/
Image...............

Life's too short to drive around with your top on! :D

patrict

Post by patrict »

Yeah, its pretty awesome :) I see some of the sections are empty though which is a pity...

cheekee

Post by cheekee »

Try doing it the peugeot way.

I already used those instructions and it doesnt work.

When you take the bolt out, you have to get the oil in a hole that is about 4mm in diameter and you need to feed a tube in and pump the oil in which is near on impossible. I rang peugeot and they confirmed this.

The way I posted is much easier.

patrict

Post by patrict »

Thanks cheekee, Ill keep your instructions handy - Im hoping my oil order will arrive today so I can give it a go this weekend :)

cheekee

Post by cheekee »

No problems.

The peugeot instructions make out that you just top up by removing the screw and topping up.

When you remove that screw, you will see a small ball bearing that covers the small hole you are suppossed to introduce the oil into. As I said it is a really small hole. I tried using a plastic tube and syringe and the oil just kept leaking out.

Its much easier to do it the way I described.

patrict

Post by patrict »

Cool, I shall go armed with camera to document this for others :)

On another topic, I have just managed to source the Krytox lubricants mentioned elsewhere in the forum which are some of the best for eliminating squeaks along the roof join :D I am awaiting quantity and pricing info now, w00t :thumbs:

cheekee

Post by cheekee »

Good idea.

But be careful not to get the oil on youre camera as it is a bit of a messy job.

The oil isnt very viscous.

penel

Post by penel »

i topped our resie up by taking the thing off the pump

the oil is the same as used in mercs and can be bought at gsf motor factors for around 7 quid

hth p