Service

Exhausts, Air filters and the like.......
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Hey everyone, my mum has a 206cc 2.0 litre that needs serviced, I can do most stuff myself but only ever worked on vauxhalls before so if there is anything I should be aware of then let me know.

I was going to change the oil, plugs, air filter, fuel filter and oil filter, is there anything else I should be changing? Also what oil should I use and how much will her sump hold?

Also how often should the timing belt be changed in this car? Not sure on the age of the car, neither is my mum, I will have to go down to her house over the next couple of days and check her V5.

Another problem she has is that her clutch doesn't feel very smooth, sometimes makes a loud noise like a thud or bang?

Thanks for any help.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Total Quartz 9000 Fully Synthetic 5w-40. A 5L container will be enough. Use a genuine filter.

Cam belt? Every 10 years or 100k miles on the 1.6, but may be more often on the 2L. If the car is 8 years old or done 80k, well worth considering.

Air filter:- make sure you get the housing back together closed correctly. People have suffered water ingress in the rain resulting in sodden filters when they haven't put it back together right!

Spark plugs are every 40k miles so they may not need doing yet.

Pollen filter worth checking. Just behind the right-hand inner wing so takes just seconds.

Brake fluid change every 2 years. Important if you don't want ABS problems.

Welcome to the forum.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Cheers for the reply, hers is about 8 years old I think with about 60k on the clock, not sure if its ever had a proper service as no service history so want to make sure I cover everything.

Oh yeah, forgot about pollen filter, thanks.

How much does that oil cost? Would 10w-40 oil do as I have some GM stuff that I use in my astra?

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

I think I paid £30 - £35 last time from the Peugeot main dealer. Your 10w-40 should be ok, yes. Use fully synthetic if you intend on the 20,000 mile/2 year service intervals.

See also

http://www.aepdirect.com/total-quartz-9 ... 0-5l-p1041
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)