catalytic converter/anti-pollution warnings

Electrical 206CC problems
chrisgscott22

Post by chrisgscott22 »

rite just had my car up on ramps havin a look...fiddled with the sensors a bit...

lights are all of now and its runnin fine. also took my air filter out and replaced it.

i will try 2mmorow mornin and see if the problem still arises. I find mines only has this problem on a cold mornin and bein here in scotland its absolutely freezin now.
206cc Black
2litre 16v
Full Leather Black/Red

alixashurst

Post by alixashurst »

:wave: Hi chris, thanks for the feedback - sounds promising if all it needs is a bit of a jiggle and an air filter change.

I've done a good job of ignoring mine - been v busy with work.

The light came on seconds after a refuel when I'd got quite low on petrol - went through that tank and another with the light on - then after another refuel when I'd got quite low again the light went off - hooray - but then it came back on again one or two fill-ups later.... still on now.... still no apparent sign of any performance loss though.

let me know how you get on?

ORKA

Post by ORKA »

2.0 SE same problem.
Daughter has a 206 1.0 same problem.
Last time I left it and it went off .
Twice paid 50 quid to a dealer to connect it up say it was ok.

ORKA

Post by ORKA »

Typed AntiPollution Fault in to Google (uk pages).
The first four pages came up with links relating to problems with various Peugeot and Citroens .
The worst thing is many refer to the new 307 they have not found the answer yet.

phillipd

Post by phillipd »

This message came up on our 206cc 2ltr SE. Car also failed to start. We had the car picked up and taken to our local Peugeot dealer who said the hydraulic tappets needed replacing at a cost of 921 quid!!! Seems outrageously expensive. We've now haggled down to 720, but still seems a lot.

Is replacing the tappets essential or is there another solution? Is there a less expensive way of having this done?

Thanks in advance!!!

Phil

rubber ducky

Post by rubber ducky »

Hello I have a 2 litre SE 52 plate me and my girlfriend were testing the performance out the other night as you do on a new motor:D and when we hit about 80mph we got the Anti pollution warning with the diagnostic ligt but no cat warning. I have noticed that most people are having this poblem when the engines cold but we had done a good 30 odd miles before this happened and the watr and oil temps were normal. Bit Confused!:scratch:

alixashurst

Post by alixashurst »

Ok, so I finally folded and took my car to the garage... for the anti-polution fault they want to replace the cat - £200+VAT... then the "oil pressure insufficient" fault they're still guessing at 15 working hours since it went in... they thought it was just that i needed oil but we checked that a couple of weeks ago and it was fine... hope i haven't got a leek...

...but does anyone else think that £230+VAT for a new wing-mirror is a bit expensive? Or is that really how much it costs?

thanks

robster

Post by robster »

hi all,
have had all the same anti pollution/cat convertor warning messages on dashboard. first time it happened i panicked and booked it into peugeot(who said they had no idea what the problem might be) but they couldnt look at it for a week as they were too busy so they said it should be ok to drive but if it runs badly dont use it. so i used it and it was fine and 2 days later the lights went out so i cancelled appointment at peugeot which would have cost best part of £100 and since then the car has done this at least 8 times sometimes a bit lumpy when first started up and then these lights come on but then it clears and car runs fine. warning lights usually go out within a day. i hasten to add this doesnt seem to happen in milder weather,just cold or damp. i have never taken it to the garage and never will unless it starts to run badly as i think it is license to print money for peugeot as they usually start replacing everything and it seems fairly likely that it is the lamba sensor just temporarily sending wrong signal.
i have it serviced every year and no garage has ever said they have found any problems so i will continue not to worry and keep my bank balance intact!!
also in case its of interest to anyone i had to have my exhaust done recently.
i was told you cant get a piece of exhaust for a 2003 2.0cc and it comes as complete system with cat convertor on it too. a snip at around £550!
so i took it to my local garage who bought an exhaust for another peugeot and made it fit which it does and have had no probs since and it cost £150. much more reasonable! hope this helps someone.

gws73

Post by gws73 »

We too have been having major problems with the anti-pol and cat conv faults on a 52 plate 2.0SE euro import. Which ONLY happens when the temperature reaches zero and the ice alert warning is displayed. This is quickly followed by the car running like a bag of spanners and the 2 fault codes flashing up with the Engine Management light coming on. My Mrs has discovered that by stopping and restarting the car a couple of times the car runs ok (however the faults and EM light remain on) - this problem also recently caused the car to stall with a total loss of steering and brakes :popping: thankfully without incident....

Peugeots first effort at fixing this was to replace the coolant sensor, which turned out to be a pointless waste of £110.
The faults still reoccured

The second effort was to diagnose a misfire on cylinder 3 and blame it on non-Peugeot spark plugs (Bosch were fitted) - This cost £50 for the diagnosis.I then changed the plugs for Peugeot plugs (The Bosch ones were immaculate when removed)

The third effort was to blame the misfire on a faulty coil pack and plug leads which out of the goodness of their heart they changed for £165 (with discount...)

At the fourth time of asking they blamed the tappets and said they would happily change them at the bargain price of £1200! :popping::popping:

At which point, after lots of shouting and swearing at all things Peugeot we were advised to contact Peugeot UK and ask that as this was a common (and known) fault, would they be willing to contribute to the cost of rectifying the fault.

I left this phone call to my wife as I would have just shouted a string of swear words down the phone... She explained the situation to Peugeot UK in a very calm manner and was told it was being passed to the Customer Relations manager and he would call back.

Some 4 or 5 days later we eventually receive the call to tell us that as the car is 4 years and 1 month old we should expect things to go wrong with it...!!!!!!!!! And also they would not contribute to repairs. He also went on to say that this could not be a common fault as they (Peugeot UK) were not aware of any such problems - which frankly I find VERY hard to believe....

So currently we are just running the car regardless, and each time the fault occurs just stopping and restarting a couple of times till the engine is running sweet again - then after a couple of days the faults clear off the screen and the engine management light extinguishes itself...

I can feel a FOR SALE sign coming on :evil::mad:

plymcouple

Post by plymcouple »

Hi
was all set to get the tappets done - then found a local engine tuning company spoke to them and then took the car down when it was in fault condition.
The read the ECU and it said "spurious misfire" - they have suggested this is the coil pack (only £100 instead of £500+!).
They also said bring it back next time it is in fault so the can recheck before installing a new coil pack.

Will let you know.

plymcouple

Post by plymcouple »

Hi
forgot to update this

We had a new coil pack fitted and it has been 99% clear (1 fault in 3 months).
It runs much better and the mpg is up as well.

So suggest you get the coil pack changed if you are having problems

shiningxxstar

Post by shiningxxstar »

I'm so glad I found this! I got my 52 plate 2.0ltr in Dec and today I had the juddering / cat converter light come on. There was a funny smell too so phoned the AA out. When he tested it, it came up with random misfire. The aa man tested everything, kept going on about coils but then said they all looked fine. He turned my engine management light off and told me to call them out if it happens again!

So I'm right in thinking that its not my cat or anything else expensive and scary, just a common fault??

gws73

Post by gws73 »

After spending a small fortune with Peugeot - we decided the best course of action was to basically ignore it whenever it happened again. Happened a few times - each time, the car ran like an absolute bag of spanners. However, by switching the car off and starting it again (and again if it didn't work the first time) it ran ok but the engine management light stayed on. after a day or so the engine management light goes out and everything is rosy again.....

Hope this helps.

plymcouple

Post by plymcouple »

We had this problem having got the car new (it was an 03 import model).

We changed the coil pack which worked a bit better, but still got cat faults, however we recenly fitted a new exhaust and this seems to have had a big improvement - not 100% but certainly 80% better.
Also the "rattle" which we used to suffer on startup everytime is also much improved.

So yes you can live with it - we only once had a real problem and this was when stuck in traffic, raining, on M5 -it cut in and the engine management limited the speed - but we carried on and next day all was fine!.

Mar

Post by Mar »

Hey.

I realise this is a very old thread, but I've been reading it for a few days now after getting Catalytic Converter and Anti pollution fault warnings.

I've had my car for about 3 and a half years. It's an 04 plate 1.4l SE petrol...so out of warranty. I drive a lot of miles but my car's been brilliant...up till now.

I first got the warning messages nearly 2 weeks ago...driving down the motorway. The engine became decidedly sluggish but I drove it to my destination and checked it over. The oil was really low, so I topped it up and the lights all went out and it ran good all the way home (80 odd miles). I rang my garage who said not to drive it too far though as there was obviously a fault. Next day I took it down to them, and they ran their scanner on it. It came up with a coil pack 2 fault (as well as 4 unspecified error codes) so I had that replaced. It ran better but was still misfiring so another scan, which came up with a lambda sensor error. So I had that replaced today. Was good for about 20 miles...even though the revs were still intermittently dropping a little, and then the lights all came on again and the engine went BLEURRGH.

For the last 2 weeks my engine management and the cat/anti pollution lights have all been coming on and off...one day on...next day off. My garage don't really want to do any more work on it as the parts alone are costing £100 a time, and suggest I take it to Peugeot....which I really don't want to do because of the huge expense.

Also he thinks that he could go on forever replacing parts and the problem still won't be fixed.

Now I'm starting to panic. But I think what I'm panicking about most is that my engine's gonna just pack up on me or something. Maybe it's cus I'm a girl!

Any suggestions? And please assure me I can at least drive this car whilst I'm getting this sorted...or trying.
Last edited by Mar on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.