Cabrio safety evidence needed, I want this car!

Anything related to the 206CC
paulcannon

Post by paulcannon »

My wife thinks that all Cabriolets are unsafe because if you roll the car (hardly likely), all inside will be killed. Does anyone know a good place to look so that I can put her mind at rest, and in turn buy one?
Googling hasn't really helped.

Many thanks.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

I suspect your wife is near the mark with her supposition. What is to protect your heads when the roof is down if you were to roll it?

Ladies are generally more safety conscious I think. (Probably an over-generalisation though).

The way to persuade her is to drive sensibly so that she always feels safe with you.

My wife is happy in an open top car but would be scared to ride pillion on a motorcycle with me.

Ron
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Lyndon
Site Admin

Post by Lyndon »

think that hard top cabrios such as the 206cc should protect the people inside when the roof is up, don't think you'd fair so well when it's down tho BUT how many accidents end up with a car on it's roof :?

just think positive and you'll not have to test it out :shock:
Webmaster and Admin - http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk

Dabz

Post by Dabz »

as has been said she's quite right but the trick is not to roll it :P

luckily my mrs is happy in the car and on the back of the bike :D

lastvts

Post by lastvts »

Cabrios are less likely to roll due to the loss of roof and extra reinforcement along the sills. This has a knock on effect in increasing lower body weight. MPV's and 4x4's are far more likely to roll due to the extra weight that sits above the wheel (top heavy). However in the past I have seen a 206 cc on a salvage site that had been rolled. The car had been rolled with the roof up and I personally thought that the car stood up very well. IMO it looked like the occupants would not have been seriously injured as the metal around the windscreen is so strong and was still intact. If my memory serves me correctly even the windscreen was unshattered.

As has already been stated. The best way not to roll a car is to drive carefully in the first place.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Cabriolets (2 seaters) are so low down you would have to be trying in order to roll it.

Six million ways to die and she's saving herself from one of them. :lol:

teddy206 GTi

Post by teddy206 GTi »

The CC won't be as safe in a roll over than the normal 206 despite it being metal.

As for the comments about the CC having more lower body weight and therefore less likely to roll is nonsense. The folding metal roof with all its mechanism at the top of the car is likely to weigh more than a normal 206 roof - increasing upper body weight.
One thing that always made me think about cabrio safety is if you rolled onto a fence post or similar...the metal roof must be a good bit better than a fabric roof.

lastvts

Post by lastvts »

I agree you will not be as safe in a CC as you would be in a hatchback, but IMO you are less likely to roll the CC.

When a car is turned from hatchback to a cabrio. The roof is obviously removed. The roof is very important structurally and therefore extra strength is put in the sill area, It’s a totally inefficient process because the 206 was designed as a hatchback and the roof is key to the structure of the car. The extra strength required along the sills in the cc is far more than what is required in the roof area of the hatchback, thus why the cc is heavier than its hatchback equivalent. To state that the CC roof mechanism is heavier than a standard roof is rubbish. No way in the world will you convince me that the roof of a cc is anywhere near the weight of 206 hatchback roof. Not only is the roof lighter on a cc, but also as it’s a shorter car the weight is lower down. Plus with the roof down the weight of the roof is all in the boot.

Personally safety was not key importance to me when purchasing the cc as I am confident in my driving ability and willing to take the risk of others. But I have been reassured in the photos I have seen of post rolled 206cc’s. It might be very slightly safer to drive a hatchback, but for the thrill of open top motoring, I know which car I will be risking my life in today.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Personally safety was not key importance to me when purchasing the cc as I am confident in my driving ability
People who are not confident in their driving ability don't drive :lol:

arbyman

Post by arbyman »

You can wear a crash helmet with the roof down for extra reassurance?!

I mean, the standard roll bars are bloody plastic anyway so that just goes to show how useless they are. i put chrome ones on mine, but only for effect of course, they are still useless!