How to get a power wire from the engine bay to the cab

Audio Equipment, installs & Recommendations.....
MattB
Site Admin

Post by MattB »

I now seem to be a moderator in here so thought it's about time I posted something useful for once!

Quite a few of the newer people in here have asked about getting a power wire from the battery to the boot. The key bit here is how to get it through the firewall between the cab & engine bay.

Your best bet is to first remove the glove box. To do this simply open the lid and pull it out of the metal hinges. You'll then need to remove several screws around the edge of the glovebox (don't forget the two that also hold the hinges on). There's also a screw inside the glovebox above the manual holder.

Behind the glovebox you'll see a big black plastic flat bit with some wires going through the centre. To the bottom right of this is a rubber gromit. Here's the scary bit: after removing the gromit you'll need to drill a hole through the plastic behind the gromit. The hole can be quite wide and there's nothing immediately behind it in the engine bay so it's fairly safe, but don't drill further through than you really need to.

Once this hole is done, you can pass a cable through it into the engine bay. Make sure that you put any wires through the gromit and replace the gromit to keep the seal watertight.

To get the wire into the boot, firstly run it under the carpets. This can be done by pulling off the rubber seals around the passenger door and pushing the wire underneath the carpet.

To get the wire behind the back seats it's best to remove them. There are two bolts under the back bench. With these out you can just pull the bench off. Then there is a single bolt holding each seat back in place. Again, remove the bolt and pull the back upwards then out. Simple!

You should be able to see that you can pass the wire into the boot through the corner between the bench & back.

Here are some pictures that will help...

1. Behind the glovebox. You can see the thick red power wire going through the gromit.

2. Close-up of the hole

3. Where the wire comes through into the engine bay

4. I put the fuse holder i the battery box - there's plenty of room even with the battery in.

simon smith

Post by simon smith »

Qwick question - is the grommet already there, empty?

teddy206 GTi

Post by teddy206 GTi »

the gromet is just a plastic plug normally with nothing going through it.

I just cut a hole in mine to run the cable through.

paul_y3k

Post by paul_y3k »

top job matt .. wanna do the supra ? I cant quite bring myself to start levering bits off ;)
Angry Paul !
http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/angry.htm

MattB
Site Admin

Post by MattB »

Qwick question - is the grommet already there, empty?
Yes the gromit is already there but has no hole in it for posting wire through. You will need to use a knife or screwdriver to cut a small hole in the gromit and then send the power wire through. Make sure you cut the hole small - the seal around the hole and the wire must be as tight as possible to stop water coming in etc.

MattB
Site Admin

Post by MattB »

top job matt .. wanna do the supra ? I cant quite bring myself to start levering bits off ;)
Yeah just leave me the car & keys for a few weeks ;) ;) ;)

simon smith

Post by simon smith »

all sorted - really helpful guide, thank you.

only trouble is, it's the girlfriends car, and now it sounds better than mine! Tip for anyone who wants good quality, but simple bass that fits in with the roof down - INFINITY BASSLINK! She rocks...

djviper

Post by djviper »

newer pugs (mines a 53 plate) seam to be missing said gromit but you can drill a hole just above the air con hoses

C3DPO

Post by C3DPO »

wicked guide mate :o) didnt realise i just had to drill through that bit of plastic. run out of light now so have to wait till tomorrow.

1 thing that saved me loads of time was NOT removing the seats.

You can simply feed the wires through a little hole under the carpet > then stuff your hand down the side of the seat and grab and it flows through :)

thanks again

C3

Craig

Post by Craig »

can't seem to see the pictures mate anychance you can upload them again?
Thanks
Craig

Lyndon
Site Admin

Post by Lyndon »

Webmaster and Admin - http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk

Craig

Post by Craig »

Sorry to be ultra thick but any pics and more detailed explanations to remove the glove box?
Pull out metal hinges i presume that means the ones either side and which end do you pull them out.
Just don't fancy breaking the glove box
Thanks
Craig

Lyndon
Site Admin

Post by Lyndon »

sorry i can't help any furtehr due to not having a CC any longer :(

have you tried the repair guide, link on the left hand side :)
Webmaster and Admin - http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk

richmmm

Re: How to get a power wire from the engine bay to the cab

Post by richmmm »

I followed the instructions to install a power cable thru the bulkhead on my 2001 206cc...I just thought I would add my obsevations......

The glovebox was a bugger to get out. The back of it, fouls against a cable loom on the left side, I needed a bit of force to shift it!

Also, there was a cable clip on the top, which held the aircon temp sensor cable. When I pulled the glove box out, the temp sensor also came out :( To get the temp sensor clipped back in, was a pain, it involved lying over the seats with my head in the footwell. My back is killing me this morning!

Otherwise, the cable went in fine. Thanks for the info on the hole location!

Rich

aaronwillis

Re: How to get a power wire from the engine bay to the cab

Post by aaronwillis »

Mine was a git to do
then once I done it all installed my sub box roof down and it sounded so nice
Did you do The earth ok ? I ran mine from just behind the carpet in boot
BYE BYE 206cc...........HELLO LEON CUPRA R