Residue on Headlight

Hint'n'tips plus products
Lady Python

Residue on Headlight

Post by Lady Python »

It's coming up for the MOT time of year and one problem I have is whoever owned my 206cc before me had driven in France. There is a residue on the nearside headlight I can't get off. Any suggestions on how to get it off and with what please? The garage let her through the MOT with it last year but doubt they'll let her through this time as they put it down as an advisory. The offside headlight is fine and clear.

IanL

Re: Residue on Headlight

Post by IanL »

You have probably tried the obvious, but just in case, I'll mention Autoglym Car Glass Polish. There is none better, to my mind, and it will do no harm, but may be defeated by a nasty glue.

The first thing I would try is car body cleaner - the type which says "removes dead paint". It has a mild abrasive in it, but requires lots of rubbing, so it will not harm the paintwork if some is spilt, and gently wiped off. T-cut is well known, and as good as any.

If that's no go, I'd reach for a solvent, but do not get that on the paintwork. Paintbrush cleaner is usually a good bet. There's also rubbing alcohol or iso-propyl alcohol (aka propanol). If it largely gets it off, but leaves a smear, go back to T-cut to finish off. If it doesn't help, there are really nasty ones (do not inhale!) like acetone, but difficult to acquire. There's also petrol (wear rubber gloves).

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

Hi Ian and thanks. Are the headlights actually made from glass or are they perspex? Reason I'm asking is my late hubby used to work for a double glazing company and decided to clean the headlights of my Daewoo Musso. Turned out the glass cleaner he used ate the surface of my headlights as they were made of perspex not glass. She passed another few MOTs until the blush became too bad. I spent a whole afternoon cleaning them with if I remember a mix of bicarbonate of soda and something else plus toothpaste and a LOT of elbow grease. Worked but then the car failed its MOT because of two inner track rod ends and Daewoo (Sangyong) had stopped making spares for the Mussos.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I think the 206 headlights are all "plastic" ..

You might want to try a headlight cleaning kit like Meguiars ... https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-c ... guiars-one
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

Oops, I was thinking glass, so disregard if it's perspex.

I found a recommendation for WD40. Spray, leave for 10 minutes, then rub it off. "Try in an inconspicuous place first". There are lots of other suggestions on the web.

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

Hi Ian. Seemingly Halfords has got Autoglym Fast Glass which is for glass and perspex so might be worth a try. I did try a little nail polish remover a while ago but it didn't do anything - maybe too weak and I'm not sure if they still use acetone in nail polish remover these days. I'll give the WD40 a try on a small part and see what happens.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

IanL wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:20 pm Oops, I was thinking glass, so disregard if it's perspex.

I found a recommendation for WD40. Spray, leave for 10 minutes, then rub it off. "Try in an inconspicuous place first". There are lots of other suggestions on the web.

I struggle to see how WD40 would help .. it may make the lense shiny but if the perspex has been damaged by glass cleaner it's only going to hide it, not restore the surface.

Uses for WD40 comes under that heading of "fake news" for me now ;)
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

You have misunderstood. The OP wants to remove a glue residue, not to address damage - there has been no mention of damage.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Read it again .. trying to remove the residue has damaged the perspex lenses ..
Turned out the glass cleaner he used ate the surface of my headlights as they were made of perspex not glass

IanL

Post by IanL »

Please read the first post which relates to a Peugeot 206CC. The words you quoted relate to an anecdote about a Daewoo Musso which the OP used to have, describing a pitfall with perspex lights and glass cleaner. My mention of WD40 addresses the Peugeot which currently has a problem with glue residue, not damage. I would not offer advice about a car which is no longer owned by the OP (I assume that's the case, as it failed the MOT and replacement parts were not available.)

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

My bad!