Rear speakers fitting

Audio Equipment, installs & Recommendations.....
wales1975

Rear speakers fitting

Post by wales1975 »

Hey, looking for a little help please.

I have done a quick search and cannot find definitive answers.

I have to replace the rear speakers in my 206cc, they are totally shot. Anyone know how to do this? Do I need to remove the seats? I haven't even had a chance to have a look at the job yet so any hints or tips would be appreciated.

Cheers.
2002 206cc 2.0SE - Manual gearbox.

gazza82

Re: Rear speakers fitting

Post by gazza82 »

Pretty sure rear seat will have to come out as I had to on our hatchback.

If they aren't Pug speakers be prepared to replace the connector block with spade terminals.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

wales1975

Post by wales1975 »

Cheers Gazza. Yup they are not Peugeot speakers but I have a connection block adapter.

I was hoping there maybe a short cut, but it looks like it will take some time to do a simple job :)

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

It took me a few hours on my hatchback and that didn't have the added complication of rear electric windows.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

wales1975

Post by wales1975 »

Well I am just going to start stripping down the car now, hopefully it won't take too long. The seats are stupidly easy to take out and I should be able to get around not removing the seatbelts.

Karrot

Post by Karrot »

Yup, seats out, top trim and side trim off then 4 screws and some wire faff from what I understand. Will be doing mine soon :S

Karrot
As long as water isn't falling out of the sky, the roof can be down.

wales1975

Post by wales1975 »

Was going to tackle it earlier, but other things came up. I will do it in the morning and will post some pics.

wales1975

Post by wales1975 »

OK done the job today, and to be honest you don't need to remove the back seats. The whole job took me about an hour I guess.

Its far easier if you drop the roof, then remove the top plastic part where the rear windows are, unhook the top part of the rear seats to make life a little easier, then you can unclip a small part of the panel that holds the rear speakers. This will give you enough room to unbolt the speakers, do the necessary wiring adaption and fit your shiny new speakers. I used a T20 or maybe it was a T25 socket and a socket set, because the gap it a little limited.

Of course you could remove the rear seats if you wished to do so, it would give you a lot more access if you have big hands.

There isn't a lot of room between the speaker and the panel, so be careful what speakers you chose, try and buy a speaker that is not too fancy and is relatively flush on the surface.

Overall this upgrade gave a big difference, I didn't expect much improvement from a 10cm speaker.

Moshy

Post by Moshy »

Hello, the rear speakers have a special conection to the cables? Or they are just simple terminals?

Thanks

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Standard wiring has plugs to speakers ..

timanderson

Post by timanderson »

I did mine today. I got 10cm pioneers. It was relatively straightforward especially as I did the front ones yesterday. I put the roof down but did not remove the seats. A couple of puzzles. The cables on the nearside were a different colour than those on the driver's side and I think there must have been a previous repair. I assumed they were wired correctly but worry a bit in case it is out of phase but I don't know how to check other than it sounds OK. Another issue was that refitting the panel on the nearside was a bit of a battle. Finally, the fit is not quite so perfect as with the originals but it is very secure. The replacement was absolutely necessary, the originals were disintegrating and were flapping, distorting, and playing with diminished volume.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

The wiring to all four speakers should be different. It's colour-coded differently for each speaker.

timanderson

Post by timanderson »

gazza82 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:58 pm The wiring to all four speakers should be different. It's colour-coded differently for each speaker.
Fair enough. It sounds miles better!

Tim