Which Scanner?

Electrical 206CC problems
batso

Which Scanner?

Post by batso »

Yeah I know, i'm like a kid with a new toy here.

I'm seeing that the usual ebay bluetooth OBD2 scanners are pretty much useless on these cars.

So what's the tip on a useful diag tool?

I see that the lexia 3 box + PP2000 (on a WINXP laptop of all things) seems to be the standard go-to?

Whats the difference between the 'full chip' and the whatever they call the other version?

And can you use the Lexia on other makes?

What about those dedicated handheld scanners that ebay sells for $30 or $40 like the ? Are they worthwhile for the 206?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ICarsoft-i8 ... 3396822436

If Im going to 'invest' in a dedicated scanning tool, I'll want it to be able to work on the rest of the fleet here at home (Pug, Subi, Honda, VW, Mitsu).

gazza82

Re: Which Scanner?

Post by gazza82 »

What is the age of the car .. pre-2002 and post use slightly different wiring systems ..

And as you mention $ I take it you are in Aus? Did they import many CCs there? Petrol? 1.6 or 2.0?

We had an early 2001 2.0 CC and still have a 2002 1.4 HDI and PP2000 was really the only software that works on both and everything (Peugeot hide some of the electrics in the BSI), but I did find a Sealey handheld that was PSA compatible and was better than most off the shelf diagnostics .. cost me over £200 when I bought it though and now NLA. But as UK Peugeot dealers charged £80-100 each time they read the codes .. it paid for itself pretty quickly. Also worked on the Renault Clio and that needed a light resetting nearly every other week .. never did suss what it really was ..
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

batso

Post by batso »

Yeah, I'm in Canberra.

These cars were sold here. But they certainly aren't common. Hell, I'm the only person I've ever met that owns a French car.

Mine is a 2004 1.6.

So it seems as though the lexia3 setup is pretty much peugeot /citroen specific.

So what about the dedicated handheld scanners - do they do anything the cheap ebay Bluetooth ones fail to do?

I've tried a scan using torque lite and it tells me that the are no errors saved in the ecu.

I'm trying to sort out the airbag light and the lack of high beam.

If it turns out I NEED pp2000 then so be it, but if prefer not to.

IanL

Post by IanL »

The only useful alternatives to PP2000/Diagbox are expensive professional tools which will cost many times more.

batso

Post by batso »

So I picked up a lexia3 / diagbox / pp2000 package, to try and sort out my airbag issue.

What a colossal amount of faffing about.

Finally after downgrading an old laptop to win7 with xp mode (THAT was a story in itself), I've tried pp2000 on xp, and diagbox / pp2000 on win 7.

When I finally get things to scan, it tells me all the units don't respond (but sometimes it recognises the ecu and confirms no faults).

The win7 version won't do anything because when it boots up pp2000 it days the interface is in use by anther process and gets all jealous.

Fffffffuuuuuuuuu.....

IanL

Post by IanL »

I have no problem running PP2000 on a Win10 laptop, by using a WIN XP3 Virtual Machine, I use VMWare Workstation Player (free).

batso

Post by batso »

So, I've tried runnign 32bit XP VMs on a 'better' laptop which has really helped - i've got PP2000 installed and updated and working ok on one of the VMs. Its recognising the dongle in the VM, happy days.

Now when I plug it all into the car, turn on the ignition, and run a global diagnostic, I get errors saying that none of the car computers are responding.

I've tried it with ignition on/car not running, and with car running, makes no difference.

I've even tried Diagbox on a separate VM, more mucking about but essentially the same issue - ECUs don't respond.

Dongle issue perhaps?

IanL

Post by IanL »

batso wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:16 am Dongle issue perhaps?
Could very well be.

You could try the Peugeot Forums for someone with Planet close to you, to get some confirmation.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Our CC refused to connect once but the diag light wasn't working either.

A low amp fuse had blown in the engine bay fuse box. Can't remember the exact one or size but it was in bottom right corner area ... so the OBD port was getting no power.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

batso

Post by batso »

ON advice from the peugeot forum ive tried updating the firmware on the box.

Current firmware 4.2.2.

Updated to 4.3.7, didnt work, when i checked again later on it had reverted to 4.2.2

Tried again (and confirmed again that the upgrade had been applied), and 5 mins afterwards it had downgraded itself again.

French cars are hard work. And thats before you even get to the car!!!!!

batso

Post by batso »

Wow, THAT was an ordeal,

After a heap of experimentation etc, it looks like the USB<=>Interface cable was dodgy, probably slammed in one too many doors. I used the short cable from the kit, and it seems to work.

So I've loaded up DIAGBOX on an old laptop + VMWare XP, avoided going thru all the updates etc, and it seems to work.

To a point.

The Engine ECU responds, showing no codes, the ABS ECU responds but seems to confuse PP2000 a little (but after some mucking about has decided that there are no errors there either).

None of the other ECUs seem to respond, of main concern is the Airbag ECU - the only thing that shows a warning light on my dashboard, and essentially the only thing I wanted to use PP2000 for.

So it looks like I'm back at the 'trial and error' method of tracking down the fault. I'm planning on setting up a number of 3ohm resistor test harnesses and plug them into all the joints (under seats, back of COM2000), and see if I can get the warning light to shut up. Then one by one plug them all back into their respective airbags until the light tells me I've found the fault.

I've come to the conclusion that this car is VERY much a female.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

gazza82 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:05 pm Our CC refused to connect once but the diag light wasn't working either.

A low amp fuse had blown in the engine bay fuse box. Can't remember the exact one or size but it was in bottom right corner area ... so the OBD port was getting no power.
My snapon provides its own power, so will work with that fuse blown :D :D :D :thumbs:
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I'm not that rich! :)

batso

Post by batso »

I've gone and picked up an autel diaglink of ebay, and I'm actually a little impressed.

You load up the software package for your car brand, and it just frikkin works.

It won't do everything that pp2000 is meant to do (coding keys and stuff) but it does all the ecu scanning right of of the box.

It's identified a couple of microswitches that are apparently stopping the roof operation.

Can't tell me where the airbag fault is, but pp2000 couldn't either.

It cost a little more than the lexia3 /pp2000 dongle but WAY less faffing about trying to set up with a winxp laptop etc.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

I rarely use pp. by the time I’ve got the laptop fired up, opened the program etc:, one of my other scanners would have given me the codes/ data.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.