Whine like in reverse, but in all gears

Anything related to the 206CC
sammyblackbaron

Whine like in reverse, but in all gears

Post by sammyblackbaron »

Hi,

I have a 2007 206cc 1.6 16v with 63k miles on the clock. The car has developed a noise that increases in pitch with speed and goes away when the clutch is engaged or in neutral. It sounds similar to the noise the car makes in reverse, kind of like an electric motor being force turned.

I have it booked in to get the timing belt and water pump done but I'm now nervous that it could be the gearbox failing or the clutch (which doesn't seem to be slipping).

Can anyone please tell me if they recognise this problem and what it could be? Could it be transmission oil (or lack of it)?

Many thanks!

gazza82

Re: Whine like in reverse, but in all gears

Post by gazza82 »

Might be worth checking and/or changing the gear box oil .. no a fan of this "filled" for life idea .. it degrades and potentially could have leaked slowly.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

sammyblackbaron

Post by sammyblackbaron »

Many thanks for the quick reply - I'll check it first.

Noddie

Post by Noddie »

I had the very same problem as you describe it was happening for about 7 months ... I finally booked it in to have fixed on the Monday but on the Friday before as I was driving along i heard a thump under the car as I pulled up outside my brothers there was a large puddle of oil under the front of the car.

The thump was a gear (Helical Gear) from inside the gear-box being jettisoned out through the casing, I had the car transported to swifts in Gloucester for repair.

It ended up costing me more to have it repaired as I had to have a new casing £800 in total as I also needed a new clutch as the original one was totally saturated in oil.

They done a first class job on it for me, so I would not be like me and dither about getting it done as soon as possible as will cost more in the long run.

If you can rebuild the gearbox yourself you will save a large amount of money as well.

Just don't leave it to long, hope you get it sorted soon.