Just bought one, few questions

Anything related to the 206CC
Samson

Just bought one, few questions

Post by Samson »

Hi All,

I went the auction 'cos my old car is a bit broken, and came back with one of these (54 plate, 2l engine). I have to admit, I have previously been a bit scathing of convertibles never having been in one, but now I have bought one I really love it. The experience of nipping around the country lanes while exposed to the outside world is incompatible.

I have a few questions:

- The roof is cool and all, but looks like the sort of thing that will not last for ever. When they fail, does it tend to be wear, ie. the more I use it the sooner it will break, or is it something that just happens? If I put the roof down at every opportunity will I lose the ability to put it down sooner? I have quite a short commute, and if the roof wears out I may be tempted to drive in with the roof up more than I might otherwise.

- It seems that after folding the front seat forwards to allow someone in the back, you have to slide the seat all the way back to get it to lock, and only after that can you lock the seat in a more forward position. This basically means the seat must briefly occupy the tiny bit of space the rear passenger has for their legs. Is this how it is supposed to work? Is there a way to get it to lock while there are legs in the rear footwell?

- When I came in this morning the car was covered in dew from last night, and at speed this dripped over me and the dashboard. I was mostly worried about the electrics getting wet. Is this something I can do anything about, or should I not worry as the car can handle it?

- Getting my weekly shop into the car seems somewhat of a challenge, with the roof down at least. I had thought to put most of it on the passenger seat, but I drove to the shop with a box in that seat, and the negative pressure generated behind the windscreen was trying to pick the box up and throw it out of the car so I did not risk it (ended up driving home with the roof up, the 1st time I had done so since I bought it). I am thinking about making a construction to stop it blowing away, but I wondered if others have figured out a way to deal with this problem.

- I read online a recommendation "keep some bungees in the car, so if the roof fails you can get home". As I would need to buy the bungees, are they the best tool for this? I would be more tempted by some thin rope, as it is stronger and has more uses. I was also thinking about a pair of ski goggles and gloves. Any recommendations for things to leave in the car for if/when the roof fails?

- I think the stereo has a CD stuck in it, this is not really about the car but if anyone has any ideas to try and fix it I am all ears.

Thanks for any input on any of these questions, also any general ownership points I should be aware of are gratefully received.

Samson

Re: Just bought one, few questions

Post by Samson »

One more question I had, someone here must have at least wondered about this: If you are going down the motorway with the roof down, and it starts raining hard enough to get in your eyes making driving harder, can you stop on the hard shoulder to put the roof up, or should you go on to the next exit?

MartinMax

Post by MartinMax »

Hi Samson,

quite a few questions :-)
I would suggest to start with the following posts:
http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14343
and
http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17543
these two posts have a lot of information about the 206CC.

- Now the roof is relatively sturdy and it should be OK as long as you take good care of it. As all mechanical things, failure is not an IF but a WHEN. Simply keep lubricating the gaskets (silicone lubricant) and make sure the car is on a level surface when opening and closing. This forum has a lot of advice and solved roof problems so you are covered even for the worst.

- For the seat, I believe this is the easy-entry system on the driver seat, which when tilted will also slide forward, but when bushed back will slide back and lock in the previous position, think of it as a type of driver position memory.

- The roof system has no gutter, so before driving after a rain or dew, simply wipe the windshield and roof, otherwise you will have a wet surprise both on the dashboard but in the boot as well as drops from the rear windshield WILL fall in the boot.

- Shopping bags go on the rear seats, period. (my boot is dedicated to the audio system)

- Does the car have the factory stereo or an aftermarket install?
Changing the factory stereo is a bit tricky and requires disabling with PP2000.

- There are several videos on youtube showing how to deal with a roof failure, from emergency close to manual override of the roof computer, you dont need the bungie :-)

- As for wind while drivind, it is wise to invest in a wind breaker, once that baby is in place, there is hardly any wind swirls in the car. The downside is that it efectively transforms the car in a two-seater.
(note: My daughter is 1m tall and she fitts under the wind breaker net.

- As for sudden start of rain, depends on where you drive, in Macedonia, there is an emergency stop lane where I can stop and close the roof.
Also, there is an urban myth that if you drive above 60km/h rain will not enter the car. (it was busted however)

I hope this helps, deffinetly read through the posts, this forum is full of user proven information.
And happy times with the top down.

Martin
---------------------------
2001 206cc 2.0 S16
Silver with matte black accents...

IanL

Post by IanL »

It is very easy to use Peugeot Planet 2000 to program a replacement stereo, but you need a 32-bit Windows PC, the program and the special connecting hardware known as Lexia3. To buy it, search "Lexia3" on eBay or AliExpress. Lots of choice. Or see here.

Alternatively, if you only want to replace the fitted RD3 stereo with a working example of the same, some sellers on eBay will program it to your car's VIN, eg here.

Samson

Post by Samson »

MartinMax wrote:- Now the roof is relatively sturdy and it should be OK as long as you take good care of it. As all mechanical things, failure is not an IF but a WHEN. Simply keep lubricating the gaskets (silicone lubricant) and make sure the car is on a level surface when opening and closing. This forum has a lot of advice and solved roof problems so you are covered even for the worst.
Thank you for all the pointers, they are very useful. Is there any link you can give to show where to lubricate?
MartinMax wrote:- Does the car have the factory stereo or an aftermarket install?
I am not sure. It is a clarion branded stereo, looks pretty standard to me.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Samson wrote:
MartinMax wrote:- Does the car have the factory stereo or an aftermarket install?
If it doesn't have a display of its own and uses the MFD on the top of the dash, it's standard.
RD3_FrontView.jpg
Surprised with a '54 .. it's normally the older ones that do this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Samson

Post by Samson »

gazza82 wrote:
Samson wrote:
If it doesn't have a display of its own and uses the MFD on the top of the dash, it's standard.
RD3_FrontView.jpg
Surprised with a '54 .. it's normally the older ones that do this.
It is one of those. So I need some software and a lead, go to someone who has them or buy a specially set up stereo. I may just live with the radio for a bit. Thanks for the info.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

buy a specially set up stereo
It's not the stereo .. it's the car's BSI unit (computer). This is coded that it is fitted with a factory-fit stereo, and I think the radio's code, which also links it to the car. Swap it out with another Clarion or a non-standard h/u and the car thinks it has been stolen .. and bleeps at you .. constantly.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

MartinMax

Post by MartinMax »

My car is a 2001 model non-multiplexed, so the setting for the stereo is in the setup panel of the MFD on top of the dash. I set it to OFF for both the stereo and CD changer and no problems.

But the later models 2003+ have the stereo setup and link done through BSI...
2001 206cc 2.0 S16

MartinMax

Post by MartinMax »

Samson wrote:
MartinMax wrote:- Now the roof is relatively sturdy and it should be OK as long as you take good care of it. As all mechanical things, failure is not an IF but a WHEN. Simply keep lubricating the gaskets (silicone lubricant) and make sure the car is on a level surface when opening and closing. This forum has a lot of advice and solved roof problems so you are covered even for the worst.
Thank you for all the pointers, they are very useful. Is there any link you can give to show where to lubricate?

No link, sorry. But it is simple, where you see rubber on the seams spray it with silicon lube.
2001 206cc 2.0 S16

Samson

Post by Samson »

MartinMax wrote:My car is a 2001 model non-multiplexed, so the setting for the stereo is in the setup panel of the MFD on top of the dash. I set it to OFF for both the stereo and CD changer and no problems.

But the later models 2003+ have the stereo setup and link done through BSI...
It does look quite involved to buy and use the Lexus3 and PP2000 things. If I did go that route I would get one of these: www.
dot aliexpress dot com/item/32712187247.html . I would be interested in anyone has any experience with such things. In particular they seem to only fit a few cars, can you get ones that are more generic?
MartinMax wrote:No link, sorry. But it is simple, where you see rubber on the seams spray it with silicon lube.
So gaskets are the rubber things that go between the bits of metal? I see, I had thought of gaskets like the head gasket. That I can figure out, thanks.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I bought mine several years ago from Aliexpress but don't use their software .. it's riddled with viruses, or was. I downloaded mine from PeugeotForums.

There isn't anything else as nothing on the market can touch the BSI .. you can get diagnostics that read the ECU error codes, but they can't touch the BSI unit. I have a Sealey box that is Peugeot/Citroen/Renault specific when I can't be bothered to get the laptop out.

Just don't do as many people do and partially open the roof to spray up those gaskets/weather seals .. you can find the roof doesn't close/open again!

Also only operate the roof with the engine running as the battery can take quite a pounding!

You also asked about opening/closing the roof on a motorway .. I'm not sure I'd risk it on a Smart one!! But on a motorway with a "Proper" hard shoulder, as longs as you pull off safely I can't see why you can't stop to close it in rain.

MartinMax

Post by MartinMax »

gazza82 wrote:Just don't do as many people do and partially open the roof to spray up those gaskets/weather seals .. you can find the roof doesn't close/open again!
Also only operate the roof with the engine running as the battery can take quite a pounding!
This can not be stressed enough so here it is again:
- The roof open/close operation must be completed without interruption.
If you start opening the roof, keep the button puled up until the boot clicks in position, and the computer beeps.
If you start closing the roof, keep the button pressed down until the boot lid clicks in position, and the computer beeps.

And most important, if something happens by mistake (Like a hitting the close button) simply complete the closing process and re-open again as needed. The complete procedure to close and re-open the roof takes 1 minute. Trying to find a repair shop with a partially closed roof takes much more :-)

BTW: there is a very good description video of the complete roof operation process on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUk3RKV ... -&index=45
worth every 9 minutes of it :-)
2001 206cc 2.0 S16

Luditus

Post by Luditus »

My normal roof opening procedure is to start the engine, release the catches, push the button, watch all the windows go down and the roof fold away. Except that on one occasion, the near side quarter light did not move! As the roof started folding, I noticed that it might collide with the quarter light. In panic mode, I released the button and the roof stopped. "What to do now?", I thought (having read all the stories of gloom concerning stopping roofs half way). After a few seconds, I decided to try closing it, which it did perfectly - much to my relief. I then tried opening the roof again and was pleased to see all the windows go down. This was a few years ago and has never happened since. :)

MartinMax

Post by MartinMax »

I was thinking about stopping the roof halfway so I could clean and lubricate the rubbers, but I found out it is much easier to do that by opening the trunk while the roof is folded (and less stressful any way).
2001 206cc 2.0 S16