dreaded Cam belt breakage?

Anything related to the 206CC
Opentop

dreaded Cam belt breakage?

Post by Opentop »

Ok so Cam belt replaced at 65000 miles along with tensioner and water pump. Car now done 95,000 and went to start it and nothing. Starter cranking and in gear clutch out car moving on the starter but no spark no engine running.

So called out the AA who took a couple of bolts out of the cam belt cover and prized it apart to look see while I cranked it. Sure enough cam belt looks like its broken or stripped teeth. Not sure which without taking cover completely off. 30,000 miles seems a bit early for the replacement belt to fail but fail it seems to have.

The car wasn't running, and the belt failed when I tried to start it. I did crank it a few times as at first I wasn't sure of the issue. yeah I know, Duh.

So the question if the cam belt has gone, is it worth throwing a new belt etc on and trying it or will it have bent valves etc even if the engine was not running?

Its a 1.6 16v motor. TBh if the valves are bent etc its not really worth repairing as the cost will be far more than I could buy another for.

What do you good people think? Try a new belt etc and see or cut my losses and scrap?
2003 206cc 1.6 allure. 65000 miles

IanL

Re: dreaded Cam belt breakage?

Post by IanL »

Difficult one - if it's just jumped a few teeth you may get away with it.

Did you change the water pump when you changed the belt? If not, it may be seized or partly seized, which would explain why the replacement did not last that long. I would say, if you didn't do the pump, write the engine off.

A couple of years ago, I bought one with just over 30k on the clock. It was a '95 with no service history, so I got the belt and the water pump done. The mechanic found that the pump was damn near seized up, so that was a narrow escape. Always do the pump when you do the belt.

Opentop

Post by Opentop »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the water pump was changed. So Shouldn't be that. Unless was just unlucky with a faulty part.

I'm not a good car mechanic give me a motorbike and I'll take that to bits but cars no, so will have to get a mate at my garage to do it. So the real question is it worth sticking another belt on and shelling out a couple of hundred to see if we got away with it?

As I said the engine was not running and never started. Just the bottom end span on the starter but obviously the top end didn't.
2003 206cc 1.6 allure. 65000 miles

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

You are still likely to have bent valves even just on the starter ... sorry.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Almost certainly bent valves
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.