ABS pump on and off?

Anything related to the 206CC
soniafrance

ABS pump on and off?

Post by soniafrance »

Hi All

In another post I asked about ABS warning light. The garage diagnosis is that the pump is faulty. Cost to repair approx 400euros using a second hand pump. Thing is that the light has now been off for the last few days so it seems like is working sometimes...is this possible, is there a chance it will fix itself......We need the French MOT to change the plates so I have booked it in for the ABS fix in 10. Days and the mot 2 days after that. If the light stays off do I still need to fix the pump?

Many thanks.....
206 CC 2.0l 2003

IanL

Re: ABS pump on and off?

Post by IanL »

All I can say is that I have had two instances where the ABS lamp lit - in both cases, the battery was low, and once it was charged up, the fault indication cleared. That was a couple of years ago, and it has not come back. So there is a strong possibility that there is nothing wrong with your ABS.

I suggest you make sure the battery is topped up (either a long run, or use a battery charger) just before the MOT.

soniafrance

Post by soniafrance »

Thanks is Ian apparently it had A bramd new battery the week before I bought it. I am going to tell the mechanic your advise he said the diagnostic said it was the abs pump but it is not a garage I know really well. The light is back on again.....I really hope it is just the battery.
206 CC 2.0l 2003

IanL

Post by IanL »

Well, if the battery is new AND the alternator is working well, there may be something wrong in the brake system. But it has been known for a new battery to be defective - they are made down to a price, so there are some duds.

It would be worth putting a discharge tester on the battery and a voltmeter on the alternator before shelling out on the ABS.

soniafrance

Post by soniafrance »

Hi Ian

Earlier all the advice was to get the codes read. The mechanic says the codes say pump problem. If it is a pump problem would the light stay on continually. If so the fact the light comes off and on would prove the code was wrong?? I am going to the mechanic tomorrow but it's hard saying that online advise says it might be the battery and that I think his diagnosis may be wrong.... initially I asked him to quote for eagle F1 tyres which he said were not available. He quoted About 100 per tyre for falcons. We went to a Kwik fit type place online ordered 2 eagles for 150 plus 9eiro fitting and balancing per tyre. They could not fit as we had no key...see other posts by us!!!!

Long story short the forum advised fitting four the same so I bought 2 more eagles from Amazon and then had to get he local me ha if to fit them, do the pre Mot check, remove anti theft bolts, fit 2 french headlights etc and diagnose the abs lights.,..which he says is the pump.......

I will ask him if he can see if the battery is causing the light....will let you know..

Thanks Again Ian
206 CC 2.0l 2003

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Make sure they use a Peugeot compatible code reader or it will give you codes that are possibly wrong. Being in France you would hope they use one capable of reading Peugeots!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

Any news, Sonja?