ABS warning light safe to drive?

Anything related to the 206CC
soniafrance

ABS warning light safe to drive?

Post by soniafrance »

Hi All

A few days ago the ABS warning light came on, a few minutes after arriving home I re started the car no light! The light then made no appearance until today. While driving the engine management light came up, it was a two minute drive, I parked and the engine management light sated on for a minute then when I arrived home I stopped the car. A few minutes later I restarted the car and the engine management light has gone off (it briefly showed anti pollution fault) but the ABS light is now on permanently even when the car is parked. The brakes seem to work fine....I have checked the brake fluid level it is fine, do i need new brake pads? It is booked in the garage this coming Thursday to have the locking nuts with no key removed! and 4 new tyres fitted....It is safe to drive it?
206 CC 2.0l 2003

IanL

Re: ABS warning light safe to drive?

Post by IanL »

Yes, it is safe to drive, but you will probably have no ABS protection, so, if you brake too heavily on a wet road, the wheels could lock and the car enter a skid. Aller doucement ;)

It would be a good idea to get the car put on Peugeot Planet, to check what faults have been recorded. Sometimes, false fault indications occur when the battery is in a low state, so have the battery checked, and also the alternator.

soniafrance

Post by soniafrance »

Thanks Ian, Any idea why the engine management light came on for a couple of minutes? We did fit a new stereo a couple of weeks ago could that have something to do with it? Its been working fine with no lights until a couple of days ago...
206 CC 2.0l 2003

IanL

Post by IanL »

I doubt a connection with the new stereo, but I'm afraid it's no use guessing. When the EML comes on, fault code(s) are recorded and must be read with the diagnostic equipment. That will give clues to possible cause, so post the fault codes when you have them.

soniafrance

Post by soniafrance »

Good news drove today and by the time I got to the end of the road the light has gone out!! Do I still need to have the codes read? I think I should tell the mechanic the light has been on in case it's something that needs looking at while he changes the wheels, maybe a loose connection somewhere?
206 CC 2.0l 2003

IanL

Post by IanL »

If the light is off, the only thing you can do is read the stored codes. Also check the battery and alternator, as I said previously, because it could well be a false alarm caused by low voltage.

soniafrance

Post by soniafrance »

Hi All

So the garage did a test and it's the ABS pump...they say they can get a used one for 180 euros plus 2or 3 hours to fit (41euros per hour) so it will be about 300 to fix...it was sunny today so drove with the roof down....I love this car so it will be money well spent!
206 CC 2.0l 2003