power steering noise

Anything related to the 206CC
rubb3rbull3ts

Re: power steering noise

Post by rubb3rbull3ts »

Thanks for the reply Capncol

Yes the steering rack, when i looked at it recently it seem to be leaking from 3-4 different places. When a friend had a look he thinks its because the clips on the steering are missing from both sides.

To be honest the steering has been a problem since i bought the last year, the steering rack was changed for the mot last sept
206cc 1.6 2004 68,000

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I think what Capncol was inferring was even if those gaiter clips are missing, it shouldn't leak from the rack ends .. if it does, the internal seals are also shot.

In most cases it's where the metal pipes join the flexis and it isn't easy to bodge/fix those, but also as these cars get older the actual metal pipes get more porous through corrosion ..
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

rubb3rbull3ts

Post by rubb3rbull3ts »

gazza82 wrote:I think what Capncol was inferring was even if those gaiter clips are missing, it shouldn't leak from the rack ends .. if it does, the internal seals are also shot.

In most cases it's where the metal pipes join the flexis and it isn't easy to bodge/fix those, but also as these cars get older the actual metal pipes get more porous through corrosion ..
I appreciate all comments i haven't got a clue.
But surely when the steering rack was replaced for the mot they would've noticed an issue?
Maybe the seals are gone??
206cc 1.6 2004 68,000

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Not if the gaiter clips came off after it was fitted. On some recon racks they just use tie-wraps to hold the gaiters .. that's assuming this was a recon and not just a cleaned up 2nd-hand rack in which case the seals may be a problem.

Steering fluid is generally red and fairly sticky (it's actually automatic gearbox fluid called ATF) .. it should not be hard to find a leak ... feel inside the loose rack gaiters, and follow the pipes from the steering pump around and under the engine/gearbox.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

gazza82 wrote:I think what Capncol was inferring was even if those gaiter clips are missing, it shouldn't leak from the rack ends .. if it does, the internal seals are also shot.

Exactly
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

rubb3rbull3ts

Post by rubb3rbull3ts »

gazza82 wrote: feel inside the loose rack gaiters, and follow the pipes from the steering pump around and under the engine/gearbox.
Should i top it up then take it for a run first?
Thanks for the advice gazza much appreciated
206cc 1.6 2004 68,000

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Just top it up and turn steering full lock back and forth a few times ... should build up enough pressure.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Capncol wrote:

Exactly
Great minds .. and all that :lol:

rubb3rbull3ts

Post by rubb3rbull3ts »

gazza82 wrote: Just top it up and turn steering full lock back and forth a few times ... should build up enough pressure.
thanks gazza
206cc 1.6 2004 68,000