Anything related to the 206CC
apgandy

Winter sleigh

Post by apgandy »

My 206 with fat winter feet ready for the Scottish weather

IanL

Re: Winter sleigh

Post by IanL »

Narrow tires are usually better in snow. Are these winter tires?

apgandy

Post by apgandy »

Yes they are nankang sv winters and to be honest never had a problem running wider tyres in the snow and we get a lot of snow up here.

IanL

Post by IanL »

Good to hear, but narrow tires (all other factors being equal) are superior on the wet, slushy stuff.

True story - my son-in-law was following a Range Rover Sport (wide tires and sophisticated 4WD) up a snowy steepish hill. The Rover couldn't make it, and had to reverse down and give up. My son-in-law, in an old Vitara on narrow tires with "primitive" 4WD had no bother.

rhume

Post by rhume »

Lots of prestige 4x4's have low profile run flat tyres. These are rubbish in the snow. I had to pull a BMW X5 out of a ditch with my old Kia Sportage (manual low ratio box and knobbly tyres. :D

I have winter tyres on my PUG 4007 4x4 which are amazing. Tread is designed to hold the snow in and they stay soft down to minus 15 degrees. This is the main advantage of winter tyres I guess. They don't go rock hard.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find myself the owner of 2 silver Peugeots: 206cc Allure and a 4007 (7 seat 4x4)

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Did you mean 'Sleigh' btw? (- edited Mod)

Best cars I had for snow were my first car, an Austin A35, rear wheel drive on 3.5" steels with 145mm width tyres and an Alfa 75 with rear wheel drive via transaxle and limited slip diff. This that had 195mm tyres.

When did have 4x4 (Jeep Cherokee) it didn't snow once ... :rotfl:
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

IanL wrote: True story - my son-in-law was following a Range Rover Sport (wide tires and sophisticated 4WD) up a snowy steepish hill. The Rover couldn't make it, and had to reverse down and give up. My son-in-law, in an old Vitara on narrow tires with "primitive" 4WD had no bother.
Got mud and snow tyres on my Range Rover sport. Most seem to be fitted with high performance road tyres.
To be honest, I find autoboxes on 4X4 cars the biggest headache. It's harder to "feel" when the tyres break traction.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

apgandy

Post by apgandy »

I am pleased you all have good knowledge of snow tyres but in all honesty its a road car so the tyres are more than up to the job and if its deep snow then I wouldn't drive?

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Used to belong to the AWD club and have done loads of greenlaning in Wales etc: Had a Series 2 with a rover V8, a classic early Range rover. Lightweight (stock engine) A factory V8 90 that I put a Big block V8 in, then took that out and fitted a 3.9EFI.
Since I gave up the muddy stuff, I still need a 4X4 for work which doubles as a family car when needed as you all know how cramped the back of a @CC is!!
I have had Jeep Cherokee, 2 Mercedes ML's ( a2.7 diesel and a 4.3 V8 petrol) Now have a TDV8 RRS.
A few years ago, myself and a mate went to the new forest to collect an engine in my Merc Sprinter. It suddenly really started snowing hard and it wasn't forecast so none of the roads were gritted and it settled. We passed about 4 or 5 4X4s and loads of normal cars stuck including a Freelander in a ditch, most of them were on hills where i just drove straight up. In all honesty they just didn't have a clue how to drive in those conditions. I could hear them revving the knickers off them trying to get up the hills. All they were doing was polishing the snow into an ice rink!!
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

apgandy

Post by apgandy »

None of it is rocket science but then shamefully there are people that shouldn't drive in normal conditions! let alone when its snowed. I have heard all the stories many times over the years but like anything the more you experience the lesser chance you have of getting into trouble as 4x4 or not excessive speed and not knowing how to stop is how most problems occur.